Resuming downloading *.utpart files

jups

Sorry for an absolute neophyte's question, but I can't find anything anywhere.

I had some major computer illness, so I saved all the files in my downloads file to an external hard drive. Now I'm back with a healthy computer and I can't work out how to restart seeding my completed files and uploading my incomplete files (*.utpart).

I don't have the original .torrent files that I can see (unless they're in a hidden folder somewhere?).

I'm sure there's a simple way to get things started again, but as a newbie without the jargon I can't find anything.

Assistance appreciated!

Yes, finding the torrents is MY concern, that's why I wrote THIS post, because I don't know how or really understand how torrents work.

Or how to find the original torrent.

Or how to migrate the partially downloadable files back. Given this is a mac sub-forum a help file for windows isn't that helpful.

Maybe neophyte was too difficult a word?

Neophyte not a difficult word but it is somewhat misused in this particular context, as these forums do not exist to teach the basics of using the BitTorrent protocol or clients, they are here specifically for development oncerns with the uTorrent client specifically.

Given this is a mac sub-forum a help file for windows isn't that helpful.
The migration principle and process is the same regardless of the operating system OR the client.
because I don't know how or really understand how torrents work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

https://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecification

Or how to find the original torrent.

There is a link in post #4 that will take to a post where the default location where the torrent files are stored on Mac operating systems is documented, and if they are not in that location and you haven't backed them up safely, then you have to use EXACTLY the same method to find them again, as you used to find them initially.

If it's not in the default directory then you have saved it yourself manually somewhere.

An analogy: If you would have misplaced your keys, only you know where you put them (but forgot), no one else. Therefore you need to search till you find them.

The same principle applies to files on a computer that are not where they should be according to a program's settings. Either they are gone or you placed them elsewhere.

Luckily it's much easier to find files than keys, just search for them, like *.torrent and they will appear before your eyes, like magic. Can't do that in AFK mode. :P

Archived