Do trackers hold IP addresses?

infomasker

Hello :),

I'm new to the forums and have little-to-no knowledge on torrent applications, and not sure if there is already another post like this about so I thought I'd make one :/...

So, I don't know if the question makes much sense as I've said I'm not that familiar with the lingo on torrents :|. But when I close down and exit the uTorrent app, do the trackers then remove my IP address from their list of peers until I reopen the app?

Also, if I had removed the torrent and data files, does that also mean I'm 'dead' and they remove my IP from that list?

Or at least, how long until they register me as a dead peer and remove me from their lists and say I've never been on there ever before?

And about authorities, how are they compared in the UK to the US about these torrents?

Once dead on the peer list, is it possible for them to view and track IPs that have downloaded what ever?

Someone, please enlighten me. ;)

I do apologise if my questions are ridiculous and make no sense at all; like I said, I'm new and don't know much about this. I just thought I'd ask the humble community of uTorrent to help me gain a bit of knowledge! :P

But when I close down and exit the uTorrent app, do the trackers then remove my IP address from their list of peers until I reopen the app?
No.
Also, if I had removed the torrent and data files, does that also mean I'm 'dead' and they remove my IP from that list?
No.
Or at least, how long until they register me as a dead peer and remove me from their lists and say I've never been on there ever before?
Sometime between 'shortly' and 'never', It depends how often the tracker flushes the peer cache (if ever). There are no 'dead peers' with trackers, simply ones that are not currently on line or 'announcing' their presence at this moment in time.

This is why peer counts from trackers is NOT a accurate way of assessing availability of any particular job.

Trackers are essentially 'dumb', in the respect of they do NOT actively 'seek out' active clients. So like HTTP (web protocol) they only respond to requests directed to them.

I just thought I'd ask the humble community of uTorrent to help me gain a bit of knowledge!

Strictly speaking your question is outside the scope of these forums as it is not uTorrent specific, but as it is useful for ALL users of uTorrent, it deserves a reply.

Archived