Wireless connection breaks when torrenting..

GodspeedFx

Ok, now before anyone tells me that I should search because this problem has come up before, I have, even though I haven't found anyone with this exact problem. I have actually replicated the same issue in Vuze as well so I'm really just here to see if any experts on these forums might be able to help solve this problem. I love uTorrent and have been using it for years--I'd love to keep using it!

The interesting thing is that this same problem has happened on 2 different laptops and on 2 different routers (belkin n150 and linksys n300) and does not happen when I connect directly into my cable modem. Both laptops are windows 7 64-bit.

I have charter cable and I've seen download speeds up to 3.5 MB/s (my cable is rated for 30 mbit/s). For some reason my wireless internet breaks almost every time when I download a large torrent at high speeds (1.5 MB/s or higher). This has happened on 2 different laptops (a sony vaio with core 2 duo and 4gb of ram) as well as my current laptop (hp dv6t-7000, ivy bridge i5 w/ 6 GB ram). I stay connected to my wireless network but it gives me the yellow exclamation in front of the signal bars and says no network access. At that point, I can't even click on the wireless icon in my system tray to disconnect and connect to a different network--it is completely frozen (not the whole PC, just the wireless icon). I am able to get to the network and sharing center via the control panel but I am unable to get the list of wireless networks to open at all. Even if I reset my router/cable modem, the problem remains on my laptop. I am forced to restart the laptop to get the wireless function to respond.

I say almost every time because it's just that--currently I'm downloading at 1.4 MB/s and it seems to be running ok. If I added another torrent, however, it would undoubtedly cause the problem to happen. This EXACT issue has happened on 2 different laptops and 2 different routers. I recently purchased a linksys N300 to see if the router was the problem (since plugging in directly to the modem works perfectly) but it did the exact same thing. My wireless connection broke and I had to restart my laptop. On both routers I've forwarded the correct ports (even tried DMZ), tried static IP assignment outside of the DHCP range, updated all firmware, etc.. everything works flawlessly and very fast right up until it breaks.

I have tried all of the recommended uTorrent settings and none of them solved the issue--the ONLY constants that have remained between all of my testing are the windows 7 operating system and my charter cable internet. Has anyone come across anything like this before? I was thinking about trying a much more powerful router. I just find it hard to believe that it's the router when it completely locks up the wireless function on 2 different laptops. I'd love to be able to use the full potential of my bandwidth but I'm not able to because of this issue and it's EXTREMELY agitating.. I am a computer technician and I've been fiddling with this for months so you can imagine how many things I've tried. This is my first cry for help!

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! Hopefully someone a lot smarter than me knows what might be going on. Would a router like the linksys N300 not be powerful enough to handle a single torrent at >2 MB/s? I'm talking between 50-70 connections.

-Adam

Would a router like the linksys N300 not be powerful enough to handle a single torrent at >2 MB/s? I'm talking between 50-70 connections.

This is NOT a uTorrent problem, which is ALL these forums deal with, we can not and do NOT provide support for routers or computers of any make or model.

The general advice is to NOT use your router as a DNS caching server, use OpenDNS or Google public DNS servers instead.

I know it's not a uTorrent problem (as I stated in the very first 2 sentences). I was simply asking for help from a friendly community--I'm not looking for the developers of uTorrent to solve this issue for me. I just thought maybe somebody had come across this issue before. I guess I should have tried asking elsewhere.

The interesting thing is that this same problem has happened on 2 different laptops and on 2 different routers (belkin n150 and linksys n300) and does not happen when I connect directly into my cable modem.

Which says the settings IN those routers is the problem and you should contact them for support.

Although the first thing you should do is turn off the SPI firewall in whatever router you do use.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I went and bought a $200 high end AC router and it does the exact same thing. I returned it.

I put my old router back in and replicated the issue, but the weird thing is, the wifi on my phone still works when it stops working on my laptop. This leads me to believe it could be an issue with the wifi card that is in my laptop or maybe some settings on my laptop.

Any ideas?

I was simply asking for help from a friendly community--I'm not looking for the developers of uTorrent to solve this issue for me.

These forums, despite the name of "uTorrent Community Forums" are NOT a "help" community, they exist ONLY for feedback and 'bug' reports on the CURRENT and the in development versions of the uTorrent client. So only matters pertaining to problems with the client are dealt with here. The rest of your hardware is NOT the concern of these forums.

Well, fortunately for me, a couple of the members here looked past that and helped me solve the issue outside of the forum.

You don't have to be so dismissive.. you'd have been better off letting the thread run it's course instead of exerting energy trying to prevent me from getting help. Then, just maybe, if somebody else had the same problem and believed it to be a uTorrent issue, you could inform them of what the problem actually was and they could solve it and be glad that they picked a torrent application with such a helpful community.

Thank you, everyone else, who helped me figure it out! (I can bold things for emphasis too)

You don't have to be so dismissive..
Not being dismissive, the rules here are NO support for anything other than current versions and builds.
Well, fortunately for me, a couple of the members here looked past that and helped me solve the issue outside of the forum.
That's fine, what people do OUTSIDE of the forum is nothing to to do WITH the forum, or uTorrent / BitTorrent and if anyone wants a utorrent user community forum that doesn't have to conform to BitTorrent rules I'd be happy to host one.
be glad that they picked a torrent application with such a helpful community.
But this is NOT a community forum, it is run by and for BitTorrent inc SPECIFICALLY for uTorrent client feedback and bug reports.

uTorrent users posting here are simply mass Alpha and Beta testers.

But this is NOT a community forum, it is run by and for BitTorrent inc SPECIFICALLY for uTorrent client feedback and bug reports.

Don't know about that....It may have been that way in the past but it has evolved...There are many that have come here for "various stages of help" and "how to" questions...

uTorrent users posting here are simply mass Alpha and Beta testers.

Don't know about that either...Many posts do reference to either stable or older unsupported versions.

7kjk.jpg

I didn't mean to spark a debate about the purpose of these forums.. I just assumed that they were forums for uTorrent users who were having issues with the program (which I initially thought was the source of my problem until I figured out from a previous request for help that it wasn't).

Anyways, feel free to close this thread.

Many posts do reference to either stable or older unsupported versions.

Of course they do, but WHAT is the response to those questions from the forum admins, and WHAT do the forum rules say about older versions? If you have never read the forum rules they are at .... http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=721470#p721470

If it WAS a uTorrent users discussion board ANY client version could be discussed, faults and bugs on older versions would not be reported or actioned but general questions on torrenting would be allowed and topics would not closed the moment it veers away from uTorrent specific.

but WHAT is the response to those questions from the forum admins

You mean admin as in singular...(DreadWingKnight) and he/she does discount the older unsupported versions but not with the plethera of posts pertaining to "help or how to's" on current stable releases. He is the one that is actively upholding the forum rules and constantly closing, deleting posts, banning users that spam, etc. as per the rules.

You may want to re-read the forum rules you so graciously posted. You may have missed the first rule in the list that you mis-use on a daily basis...Step up to the plate and practice what you preach!

*Be nice and be polite. No trolling, no flamewars, no offensive languages or pictures if you please.

Archived