uTorrent Speed seems limited

Lexis

First of all I should start by saying I have an Linksys E900 router, freshly bought. I configured it and everything then I tried my download speeds.

Connected devices to the router : A Laptop and a desktop PC (both of them are WIRED).

I have done a speed test on both of them (speedtest.net) and while both get aproximately the same numbers, my desktop PC has slower download speeds. My laptop is getting 6,5 mbps plus while my PC was getting 4,4 mbps.

Then I read the speed guide.

- I have tried disabling my firewall.

- I can't put the cable directly in my PC because for some reason I get a BSOD. Works fine trough the router.

- I have read the speed guide. I started at 4,4 mbps, I've set my bt.transp_disposition to 21 (disabled) which increased my speed to about 5,4 mbps (+1 mbps). Then I disabled DHT which increased my speed to about 5,9 mbps but there's still room for more. The other tweaks did not influence speed.

- I am getting the green light circle in the bottom right corner in uTorrent.

- Connection type is cable.

- Using Windows Firewall (no separate AV or FW)

- Window 8.

- Haven't ever modified my tcpip.sys

When I was on direct (before the BSODing started happening) my download speed was about 10-11 mbps.

Did update my drivers but they are still from 2009 and still the BSOD happens.

EVERYTHING you've tried so far, including ANYTHING listed above (please be as explicit and specific as you can). Tell us what your changed settings are.

-Make sure you have a green network status light in the µTorrent status bar and/or the port checker in the Speed Guide (Ctrl+G) shows the port to be open. CHECKED

-Try enabling Protocol Encryption? (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent) . CHECKED

-Try disabling bt.tcp_rate_control? (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced). Tried, no effect. Left it enabled.

-Try various uTP settings? (Set Preferences > Advanced > bt.transp_disposition to 31 to enable, 26 to force, 21 to disable). Set it to 21 and it DID INCREASE MY SPEED.

- Make sure peer.lazy_bitfield is enabled? (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced) . CHECKED

- Test your connection with Glasnost to make sure your ISP isn't throttling BitTorrent (and check this thread for a compiled list of ISPs known to throttle). It isn't.

- Try lowering net.max_halfopen to 4 or lower (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced). Tried lowering it to 4, no result. Left it at default which is 100.

- Try lowering bt.connect_speed to 4 or lower (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced). Tried lowering it to 4, no result. Left it at default which is 100.

- Try disabling IP resolving in the Peers tab's context menu. Tried, no result, left it disabled.

- Try disabling DHT (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent). Tried. IT DID INCREASE MY SPEED. Left it disabled.

- Try disabling UPnP and NAT-PMP (Can be found in Preferences > Connection). Tried. No result. Left it enabled.

- Try disabling peer.resolve_country if it isn't already set to false (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced). It is set to false.

- Try lowering maximum global number of connections to 200? 100? 50? Lower? (Can be found in Preferences > Bandwidth). Tried. It is set to 200.

- Try disabling uTP? (Set Preferences > Advanced > bt.transp_disposition to 5). Mentioned earlier.

- Try patching TCPIP.sys? No, haven't touched it.

- Connect your computer directly to the modem to make sure the problem is not caused by the router. I'm getting BSOD and I did update my drivers. The most recent ones however are from 2009 and I still get that BSOD.

However, this only happened when I switched ethernet card which is quite recently. Before that I plugged the c able in every now and then and was getting constant 10mbps download.

The state/value of all of the options you were recommended to change up above. Mentioned them.

Color of the network status light in µTorrent's status bar (at the bottom of the µTorrent main window) GREEN.

What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes Port is open and network is properly configured.

What the Speed Guide shows your settings to be (press Ctrl+G in µTorrent)

Upload Limit - Unlimited

Upload Slots - 20

Connections ( per torrent ) - 100

Connections ( global ) - 200

Max active torrents - 15

Max active torrents ( download ) - 15

What you have net.max_halfopen set to (Preferences > Advanced in µTorrent), and if you ever modified TCPIP.sys, what you patched the limit to It is set to 100, no I haven't touched my TCPIP.sys

Operating system installed (Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95, NT? Something else?) Windows 8

Security software installed (firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antiadware) Windows Firewall and Windows Defender

Exact router model(s), and exact modem model Linksys E900 (router). Don't have a modem.

ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used Romanian Data Systems

Connection type (DSL, cable, dial-up), and the results obtained from the speed test (when running the Speed Guide), for both download AND upload. Be sure that you aren't using your connection for any other reason besides testing, while testing. That means no downloading, no IMing, no µTorrent running, no browser activity (other than the testing), etc. Additionally, no other computer on your network (if any) should be using the connection. When you select a testing mirror, use the ones that are geographically closest to you.

Cable connection. Mirror used : Athens, Greece.

Results : Upload: 1.2 mbit/s (147.1 kb/s)

Download : 20.10 Mbit/s (2.5 mb/s)

Your upload speed : test result (1.2 mbit/s)

upload limit : 90.0 kbps

connections per torrent 100

max active torrents 6

upload slots 6

connections global 450

max active downloads 5

I suppose the magic words are:
this only happened when I switched ethernet card which is quite recently.

SOOooooo!!! What's the obvious culprit for the problems????????????????????????

I appreciate good sarcasm but thats not it.

You took it out of context, I said the BSODs happened which only happened when I tried to connect directly.

Speed-wise everything was fine on the old router and before you say its my new router, my laptop is getting better speeds which means there is a difference in settings or something that's causing my utorrent to get slightly lower speeds hence why I came here.

I said the BSODs happened which only happened when I tried to connect directly.
Which again points towards the NiC being the problem.

uTorrent CAN NOT and DOES NOT cause blue screening, it is merely the catalyst that shows up the problems with the hardware or the drivers.

I said the BSODs happened which only happened when I tried to connect directly.
Which again points towards the NiC being the problem.

uTorrent CAN NOT and DOES NOT cause blue screening' date=' it is merely the catalyst that shows up the problems with the hardware or the drivers.[/quote']

I didn't say it was uTorrent causing the BSOD. I was getting it when I tried logging in on the network (PPPoE).

Can you please drop this? This isn't the reason.

I was getting it when I tried logging in on the network (PPPoE).

So WHY are you asking at a forum that ONLY DEALS with problems that are uTorrent SPECIFIC??????

BECAUSE THE PROBLEM IS RELATED TO MY UTORRENT SETTINGS. MY UTORRENT SPEED IS LIMITED BY A CERTAIN SETTING. DISABLING DHT AND DISABLING UTP (if i remember correctly) INCREASED IT BY ~1.5 MBPS.

I specifically mentioned the BSODs and ethernet card are not affecting my speed. The only problem I had was WHILE CONNECTING TROUGH PPPOE with the cable directly in the PC. With the cable in my old router, the speed was as it should of been. With my new router , my laptop is getting better speeds than my desktop PC ... because of some utorrent settings. If it wasn't utorrent settings at fault, my speed woundt of increased trough those 2 tweaks. I already checked my router settings and its not the router.

Can you please post something useful for once?

In most posts you only seem to troll people. If you can't or don't know how to help me that's fine but stop posting just for the sake of trolling people and increasing your post count.

Basically, please just forget about the BSOD thing, IT IS NOT AFFECTING my speed.

EDIT: Furthermore, my laptop and desktop PC have almost identical speed tests (on speedtest.net), the only difference is IN UTORRENT download.

My laptop is getting 6' date='5 mbps plus while my PC was getting 4,4 mbps.[/quote']

Right! So you don't think that a fairly obviously FAULTY network card isn't likely to be causing some problems with network traffic and data transfer rates then??

The ONLY problem that its causing is not allowing me to connect directly trough the PC. More specifically, I'm getting BSOD when it verifies my login on the network.

If I do connect it trough a router, everything is fine. Or was fine until the new router.

The network card isn't FAULTY. It's the driver that became outdated (even though I use the latest version).

If you are the only guy posting in this forum "helping" people then you guys have a serious problem. You somehow seem to read only isolated sentences. Since my laptop is getting better speeds than my desktop ON UTORRENT , isn't it obvious the router isn't the problem?

Can you for once post something helpful? All you've been doing so far is trolling . Is this how people get helped around here?

Since my laptop is getting better speeds than my desktop ON UTORRENT , isn't it obvious the router isn't the problem?

No it isn't, UNLESS you are running the EXACT same jobs on both clients, connecting to the EXACT same peers and requesting or serving the EXACT same pieces, the 'speeds' are HIGHLY, HIGHLY UNLIKELY to be even close, nevermind the same.

You are using deductive reasoning and trying to find a common denominator for two entirely disparate situations.

BitTorrent is NOT a "constant rate" protocol AND the data transfer rates depend FAR MORE on the connected peers and what pieces they are requesting or serving than it does on what your YOUR client is doing.

The jobs we're the same (it had over 200 seeders and very few downloaders), all seeders being from my country . The speed increases quite fast up untill 5.0 mbps then slowly and steadly to about 5.7 then it just stays there. Its not the job that is limiting my speed its the client.

That, and I tried like 3-4 different torrents, all with plenty of seeders , all being from my country . There is no way that the torrent file is causing this by not having enough / good enough seeders.

all with plenty of seeders ,
Connected or imaginary?
There is no way that the torrent file is causing this by not having enough / good enough seeders.
We will only know that if you disclose what the availability score is.

The numbers that trackers report are of no use AT ALL when deciding how quick (or slow) the job will be.

all with plenty of seeders ,
Connected or imaginary?
There is no way that the torrent file is causing this by not having enough / good enough seeders.
We will only know that if you disclose what the availability score is.

The numbers that trackers report are of no use AT ALL when deciding how quick (or slow) the job will be.

Connected.

Tried another torrent again ....availability was at 30 and rising (same speed limit).

Archived