Connecting to the same peer hundreds of times

teddy123

So I was getting bad download speed on a torrent and noticed that when I clicked the 'tracker' tab for the torrent there were 12000 peers found by 'local peer discovery', i knew that couldn't be right.

I clicked the peers tab and I was connected to the same peer many times, this one peer occupied 90%+ of the peer list. I put their IP into a peerblocker block list and restarted utorrent but it didn't help, they still dominated my peer list and a couple of minutes later the number of peers found by 'local peer discovery' was 15000, probably all the same ip

bst6.jpg

any ideas? The same ip is flooding my peer list on 3 out of 5 active torrents

169.254/16 adresses are auto assigned to YOUR machine's network card when it cannot contact a DHCP server. Those "peers" are simply 'ghosts' caused by a faulty NiC, a failing router or a badly configured network.

[Edited to improve the grammar] removed the tautological use of 'automatically']

I see, thanks. I don't have a router and i'm not on a local network.

My modem is directly linked to my network card and then the connection goes directly to my isp, so my network card is the problem? I just got it 2 weeks ago, it's a usb network card.

My list stops getting flooded with ghosts if I set 'bt.allow_same_ip' to false. I thought that option allowed the same ip for multiple torrents, but it seems to allow the same ip for the same torrent too.

My modem is directly linked to my network card and then the connection goes directly to my isp, so my network card is the problem? I just got it 2 weeks ago, it's a usb network card.

That explains that then, cable modems usually do not have a DHCP server because they are used as a direct connection [unicasting].

Archived