Extremely slow downloads, no access to router

luckfife

I recently moved to a new apartment which comes with free internet. Http is very fast and I get download speeds of around 50Mb/s. However, when I start a torrent the download speeds on the torrent are terrible, average 5kB/s, 20kB/s at best. In addition, I completely lose the ability to connect to the internet through a browser.

I'm connected to a generic wifi AP which is plugged into the wall. According to telnet, the wall cable goes to a large router (Yamaha NVR500) shared by people in the same building. I don't have physical access to this router and it's password protected so I can't change the settings.

I've tried everything in the speed guides and more:

- Enabling/disabling DHT, peer exchange, encryption, automatic port mapping

- Lowering global connections to everything from 1-200

- Setting up an http-tunnel to another server and going by proxy

- Plugging in directly instead of going through wifi

None of these made any changes, some of them just made it worse. I can only assume it's a problem with building's router. It seems to be throttling based on machine, because when I open uTorrent on one computer, that computer's internet dies but other computers on the same network are fine.

Any ideas what to do short of changing ISPs?

According to telnet, the wall cable goes to a large router (Yamaha NVR500) shared by people in the same building. I don't have physical access to this router and it's password protected so I can't change the settings.

I am guessing at this point but if many people are sharing the same internet on just the one router you will probably get # of computers online divided by total connection speed from Isp....Qos, throttling?

Also being that you cannot access the routers config page you will not be able to port forward your Utorrent port for fluid access...

Archived