Ghosts? Video 1-of-5 downed & moved, 2-of-5 started, 1/5 reappears??

larryzweig

This started I think with Ver. 3.1, but continues with 3.2 & 3.3.

Multi-video Torrent. I download 1-of-5. Then I transfer or delete 1-of-5 and start to download 2-of-5.

1-of-5 reappears in the download folder, but it is often a part of a completely different video that I previously downloaded, but with the file name from 1-of-5.

The ghosts are always something that I already downloaded.

Running XP SP3

Example: 1 Torrent.... all 6 Star Wars Movies

I download 1 to start watching. When it is finished I remove the torrent from the client (with the X). Then I watch the film and then I delete the file.

Then I start the torrent and choose the 2nd film. It starts downloading, and a short time later I see Part one again in the folder. I double-click on the part one file.... and a completely different film starts.... something that I may have downloaded months ago. but it doesn't play the film from the start. It only has 10 minutes of the film from the middle.

The name of the file is Star Wars 1, but the file contains 10 minutes of Grey's Anatomy.

It doesn't matter if I delete the partfile (that now remains even after I end the torrent).

If I do this 5 times, and am downloading Episode 5, then I find "ghosts" of the other 4 Episode files.

The name of the file is Star Wars 1, but the file contains 10 minutes of Grey's Anatomy.

First off, bittorrent clients do not understand 'files'

but the file contains 10 minutes of Grey's Anatomy.

But anyhow, the "problem" is NOT with uTorrent. YOU are causing the problem by stopping and restarting, deleting downloaded pieces, removing the partfile etc. uTorrent is simply putting the pieces it downloads into what the disc filing system is reporting as "unallocated" disc sectors but is ACTUALLY part of the contiguous block that uTorrent is storing a COMPLETELY different torrent payload in.

I've been doing the same thing for about 10 years. Some video torrents are 40GB with over 100 files in 8 folders.... My connection is too slow to download all at once. I also don't have 40GB free. I've always done it a few files at a time... have no other choice. The thing is, it worked great. It seems to me that the difference started with Ver. 3.1 or so. At about the same time the partfile thingy stopped deleting itself when I ended a torrent. Up until then the partfile would ... I guess it was deleted by the client. There have been many changes made over time. As we know not all of them will be good.... that's why you have the bug reports here.

Of course there might be something new from other sources... updates, conflicts... etc. but it seems to me that the utorrent update, the partfile difference, and then these ghosts, as I call them came at the same time. And it must be something in the client that labels 10 Mins. of Gray's Anatomy with the file name of the torrent I am currently downloading.

I did notice that at least one other bug report mentioned this partfile change:

regression: uTorrentPartFiles not deleted after removing the torrent

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=140922

Oh sweet mysteries of life....

And it must be something in the client that labels 10 Mins. of Gray's Anatomy with the file name of the torrent I am currently downloading.

Did you read the part about BitTorrent not having a concept of files?

A torrent payload is simply a jigsaw of equally sized blocks of data. That, when reassembled in the CORRECT order create a file or group of files, so if one piece goes into the wrong place, which DOES happen if you are NOT pre-allocating space and removing parts of the payload OUTSIDE of uTorrent, confusion ensues, if you are going to remove files ensure that you run a re-check EVERY time you restart the job.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=684020#p684020

I do.... I hit STOP

then I rightclick... click "force re-check"

when it's finished re-checking I hit GO again. But this doesn't remove the ghosts or stop them from returning.

and this only started in the last year.

btw, thanks for the help. I know that all problems are man-made, but some wander to the men that didn't make them.

are you a developer ...

Just have to read the job description... :P

This ˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅˅ is a signature not a reply.

Smarter than the av-er-age bear! Boo-Boo.

There is a general issue of not deleting files inside multi - files- torrents using the "x", so I guess everything is possible...

The "x" doesn't delete anything... the "X" removes the torrent. This relatively new thing with the partfile not being automatically removed could mean that some of the routines have been changed with the new versions. I used to "X" (REMOVE) a torrent when It was finished and I didn't that the possibility to keep seeding, and the partfile would disappear automatically. And back then there were no ghosts..

I've noticed also, that if I change the download folder in the settings, and then start the torrent downloading Episode 2, then the ghosts of Episode 1 (from the old download location) don't come.

I've noticed also, that if I change the download folder in the settings, and then start the torrent downloading Episode 2, then the ghosts of Episode 1 (from the old download location) don't come.

That is because uTorrent would start the download from scratch in an entirely 'new' sector of the drive.

Sometimes there just are no solutions to things. When I write here that so & so happens when I do so & so, or that I've noticed that... I don't necessarily need an explanation of why, rather a comment if that is indicative of THE problem and helps to find an answer.

So far, nothing has changed.

Maybe I should finally try a different client, or go back to Ver. 2.X and see if that solves THIS problem.

Thanks again, but I sort of wish I had gotten an answer to my question... if you are a developer of technician, or just another user....

Maybe I should finally try a different client, or go back to Ver. 2.X and see if that solves THIS problem

If you continue to delete partial jobs it won't.

but I sort of wish I had gotten an answer to my question
Without access to your disc to examine the hex codes of the data the above answers is the closest you will get.

However if you want a possible solution, ... set pre-allocate on, so ALL the necessary disc space is allocated on starting the job.

Archived