Upload/Download Speeds are all over the place as well as seed/leechers

SharpieItBlack

Ok so I know the biggest factor is how fast your internet speed is and how much bandwidth you have with your ISP. I have comcast and have the 25mbps package. I did a bandwidth test today and was getting about 24mbps down and 6 up. Pretty good for everything. My router and modem are fine and acting normally.

However I went to download a season of one of my favorite shows. About 15 episodes, each file being about 250mb. I'm not downloading anything else, and the only other thing running on my laptop now that's using internet is me typing this in my browser. (No other devices are running on my network). Ok so now the seeds are at like 550 and leeches are at about 1500. I'm supposedly connected to 8 seeds and 34 leeches. That seems strange as I thought I'd be connected to a lot more. I usually am especially when on other networks (my old internet at my old apartment or at my parents'). My parents have super slow internet at 3mbps and I get way more seeds/leeches than what I'm getting now at 25mbps. Also the download/upload speeds currently going are all over the place. For about 5 minutes it was at 1.5K down and 5K up. Then it jumped to 600K down (not sure about up.) Then it dropped to 40K down and has been like that the past 20 minutes. Currently it's at 35.2K down and 416.2K up.

For my old internet connection I never did a bandwidth speed test. But I would definitely get way more download speeds than what I am getting now. My old place had a shared network through comcast, probably like that business network where you have like multiple routers for one network or something. It was decent but never super fast like I have now. But with the old connection my downloads went way faster.

Are there any settings in my computer, modem, or router to boost it? I know there's a setting somewhere to completely block torrent downloads (my college campus has it).

When I right click on the torrent in uTorrent it says bandwidth allocation and it's set to high and it's still running slow.

Any tips or ideas?

So I saw stuff about setting a limit to download and upload when you right click on the torrent and to go bandwidth allocation. Can someone educate me on this part and what limits to put each one at to optimize my downloads? I usually only ever download one file (one tv season) at a time as I don't download that much. Right now it seems my default settings are upload limit is 100kbps and my download limit is unlimited. And I changed the allocation itself back from high and to normal. The download speed is now hovering around 100kbps and upload is about 35. If I further reduce the upload speed will my download increase? Or how will these limits work

Ok so I know the biggest factor is how fast your internet speed is and how much bandwidth

Nope, the biggest factor is how fast the peers will send pieces to you or take piece from you.

Can someone educate me on this part and what limits to put each one at to optimize my downloads?

IF YOU HAVE SPEED ISSUES READ HERE FIRST

That seems strange as I thought I'd be connected to a lot more
Why??

Ok so I know the biggest factor is how fast your internet speed is and how much bandwidth

Nope' date=' the biggest factor is how fast the peers will send pieces to you or take piece from you.

Can someone educate me on this part and what limits to put each one at to optimize my downloads?

IF YOU HAVE SPEED ISSUES READ HERE FIRST

That seems strange as I thought I'd be connected to a lot more
Why??

Why? Because I have had a lot more seeds and leeches/peers with slower speeds. Like I said I had about 500 seeders. But was connected to 8 or so. At a slower internet speed I would be connected to way more.

You could make your reply nicer and not sound like you're an all mighty knowing god of torrents.

Like I said I had about 500 seeders
Like I said I had about 500 seeders.
No, the trackers showed a cached peer count, which WILL be some peers counted multiple times and is probably several months out of date. Only the ones that actually connect can be considered as peers.
You could make your reply nicer and not sound like you're an all mighty knowing god of torrents.

Why?? You asked a question and expect an answer, why would you want to filter through a buch of chatty "small talk" to get to that answer?

I word things to be unambiguous, because this is a practical forum NOT a "social site" or a 'chat room'.

Archived