Is 6mbps enough downloading speed for torrents for 3 people?

sahib201

Hi, I'm moving away for school and I was thinking of getting this deal that gives me unlimited bandwidth but only 6mbps of download speed. There are 3 students sharing this internet including me, so I was wondering if utorrent speeds are still fast enough for content to be downloaded in respectable time? Any help is great, thanks.

P.S are hd youtube videos also stream-able?

P.S are hd youtube videos also stream-able?

Not a concern of these forums.

but only 6mbps of download speed. There are 3 students sharing this internet including me, so I was wondering if utorrent speeds are still fast enough for content to be downloaded in respectable time?

If all three clients are set up suitably with that limitation in mind, .... probably NOT. But on the other hand it really depends on what you download and what you consider as "a reasonable time"

Oh AND provided that you CAN forward a listen port (doubtful) and the school/college has not blocked peer to peer networking (probably).

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this helps but we only have an 8mbps connection here

But, we have 12 PC's hanging off the internal home network and all going thru a single ADSL router.

We usually have 3 or 4 PC's doing nothing but torrents 24/7 - none of them throttled.

The rest are usually surfing or doing emails or other such stuff.

We don't notice any particular PC being slow or fast if/when one of the torrent stops or starts other torrents or is turned off for maintenance.

So 3 people running torrents on 6mbps should be fine most of the time. :)

Unless a particular torrent has a blazingly fast download taking up the bandwidth, you should barely notice it.

Archived