Banning peer: too many pex messages. 5 since,,,

royal11

I'm helping to seed a fairly obscure low volume torrent and discovered that one of the peers trying to download it was getting banned for too many pex messages. I have no prior experience in this area but read some of the threads here on the subject. Apparently the only way to un-ban a peer is via Advanced > Reset Bans, however I found that ineffective. Peer only got one quick burst of data then couldn't connect again. Then 10-15 minutes later the banned notice showed up in Logger again. Over, and over, and over... So that didn't work.

What actually helped was to change my IP and port. I don't know why that worked, but presumably peer was able to adapt to it better. The peer's speed is still slow and obviously has difficulty keeping a connection (maybe on dialup?), but has survived the dreaded ban for about 90 minutes this time (and counting...). Peer is making some slow progress with other seeds too.

I don't know if it's relevant, but peer's client in this case is uTorrent Mac 1.8.4, while mine is uTorrent 3.1.3.

Just thought I would add this observation to the cauldron of info on this subect... If you're trying to un-ban a peer, maybe most effective is to change your own IP and port. Worked for me...

As someone else noted, increasing the ban threshold in Advanced has no effect on these pex bans. Also as others have noted, more and more peers are being banned in this particular torrent. The torrent was active and healthy recently, now this. It's not dead yet but these pex bans are slowing things down. I found 4 more peers banned this morning. Take a look for yourself, if you wish...http://goo.gl/yHYr2u

• 2 weeks later...
Take a look for yourself' date=' [/quote']Why spent time looking?...
Plus, both of the above mentioned versions are unsupported... No one will fix bugs in them (if any) anyways...

I guess you don't need to look if you already know everything or aren't interested. :D

My utorrent version is 3.3.1 (not 3.1.3), sorry a typo. I suppose that one is supported. Right? It's the latest AFAIK.

As I've recently become aware of this problem, I can see now that is is happening frequently in a lot of different torrents with many different clients involved. It slows down the torrent whether attempting to upload or download something.

It usually isn't critical in torrents which have many peers where a few of them can be banned but there are many others still available. It becomes critical in the smaller older rarer torrents, those which have only a handful of peers available. Sometimes there is only 1 seeder. If the seeder is banned that kills the torrent.

User needs more control over this situation. It is a nuisance to have to constantly unban peers manually. There should be some user options available here in the utorrent GUI. For example, a checkbox to enable/disable these pex bans completely, globally, and/or for a particular torrent. And/or change the coding to make these pex bans less frequent, and/or automatically unban peers after a reasonable period (maybe an hour).

I would also repeat what others have said that if this is happening to others, it is probably happening to me too. How do I know that I am not sending too many pex messages with utorrent 3.3.1? Is this the reason certain torrents quit working, so that I can no longer upload/download anything from them?

I can appreciate the difficulty and enormous amount of work involved in coding a complex client like utorrent, but this is a significant fault that needs some more attention, IMO. It's probably not at the top of the list of priorities, but should be somewhere fairly high up. At least, I hope it gets on the list of things-to-do-sometime. :) Thanks!

Thanks. I found it by reading Help at about the same time as you posted.

But what good does that do, exactly?

Does it stop the banning of peers for sending too many pex messages?

Does it prevent me from sending too many pex messages and being banned myself?

Or what?

• 3 months later...

Archived