I moved to new apt, utorrent breaks my internet

yoshinator

utorrent used to work fine. I moved to a new apart near a college campus that caters to students (read: big potential torrent population). My apt has a RG45 jack, and I have my desktop plugged directly in (BTW, I need to buy an N wifi router. recommendations? I need to plug in a tv, bdplayer, printer too) . Internet works fine until I run UTorrent. Once I do, I can barely surf the web and a continuous ping shows most packets get dropped. I'm guessing they have anti p2p measures in place.

I have my utorrent settings to force encrypted connections and randomize ports on each start. I thought this would help.

I need to buy an N wifi router. recommendations?
Nothing to do with uTorrent .... So no' date=' anything that is not directly related to the uTorrent client is not a subject for discussion here.[/quote']

In the past, my routers would run out of resources for P2P connections and definately is relevant. This was just an aside to my full post.

I'm mainly interested in what utorrent settings I can try to go undetected by whatever anti P2P stuff the ISP is doing. This is the main question I asked. Thanks in advance.

my routers would run out of resources for P2P connections and definately is relevant.

But NOT directly related to the uTorrent client so is NOT particularly relevant at these forums.

I'm mainly interested in what utorrent settings I can try to go undetected by whatever anti P2P stuff the ISP is doing.

Which is ALSO a general peer to peer / BitTorrent question so is NOT the concern of these forums.

These forum exist solely and specifically for feedback on the current and in development uTorrent versions.

this forum is for discussion of µTorrent and the BitTorrent ecosystem in general.

From the Forum Rules

Go to start--> Run (or search in vista/7)--> type in cmd and hit enter.

Type ipconfig /all

press enter

Write down your IPv4 IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS servers (there will be 2 or 3).

Go to your network adapter properties and then the IPv4 properties and instead of using DHCP to assign your IP automatically, manually set it to the information you wrote down. Apply settings and restart your computer.

This did the trick for me when none of the other suggestions ANYWHERE would work--hopefully it works for you too! It really depends on how your apartment complex has their internet set up.. but it's worth a shot.

Archived