Port is not open (you are still able to download)-What does this mean?

Razer1103

OdS5GPN.png

I've just noticed that if I run tests, I get that result... but what exactly does it mean for me? I still download at sufficient speed... although my upload is pretty poor. (I know upload is always slower than download.) Could it be limiting my upload? If so, I'd like to fix it, even if it's not something that really affects me.

I did spend about a two hours trying to manually forward the port, and then ponder at why, even though my router displays the port forwarded correctly, µTorrent was not picking up on it. It kept telling me to turn on NAT-PMP and/or UPnP (which don't work) even though I know those need to be off.

My main question is – what does this result actually mean? I can still upload and download, and I don't notice any huge speed problems, unless it's upload. How would I know?

The open port test in uTorrent doesn't work properly (they are working on it I believe) so you don't need to worry about it. If you have the green check in the bottom right hand side of the uTorrent window, you should be fine.

If you really want to know if your port is properly opened, use this program:

http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

It tests both TCP AND UDP--web versions of port checkers can only test UDP.

Ah, so it's a bug? (It should probably be noted that I'm using µTorrent 3.1.3.)

So, should I still have the ports forwarded in my router, or does NAT-PMP and/or UPnP work just as they should? Would the Port Checker software you linked be able to tell if NAT-PMP or UPnP is working, or can it only check if the port is manually forwarded correctly?

Archived