Upgrade error, when uTorrent is installed in a custom directory.

Serge

Thanks Rafi! Thanks Ciaobaby! I found BEncode, and could edit Settings.dat.

For others: BEncode is really simple. It runs without an installer. You can load, edit, and save Settings.dat or Resume.dat.

But in this way, I could not (automatically) update a uTorrent-installation, that is installed in a custom folder (or 'portable'). This is what I did:

I installed the older version 3.3.1.

uTorrent was installed in C:\Users\[username]\Appdata\Roaming\uTorrent. (exit uTorrent, didn't upgrade)

I cut/paste that folder uTorrent to D:\. So now uTorrent was installed in D:\uTorrent.

I loaded Settings.dat in BEncoder, deleted the entry "Fileguard", and filled in the new Path under "exe_path", and saved Settings.dat.

Now I started uTorrent 3.3.1. A message said, a new version was available (3.3.2.). I installed it, but nothing happened.

I started uTorrent manually, but still had version 3.3.1.

The new version 3.3.2 appeared to be downloaded into the folder D:\uTorrent\Upgrades, but was not installed. (uTorrent.exe in D:\uTorrent was not replaced)

So editing Settings.dat did at least have some effect: the upgrade was not installed under C:\users.. and was downloaded to the Upgrade-folder in the new path.

To install the upgrade, you can simply move the newly downloaded uTorrent.exe from the Upgrade-folder to the uTorrent-folder (replacing the old uTorrent.exe), but this is not a good upgrade method. It should go flawless, without knowing how to do it.

Funny now was: starting 3.3.1. did not give a update-message anymore. And updating via the Menu Bar resulted in the message: "uTorrent is up to date". (obviously not) :-)

(Note: under Preferences I have checked "automatically install updates" and "Notify..".)

So this doesn't work. Did I forgot anything?

So far, the only automatic update for uTorrent in a custom folder, that does work, seems to be the MKlink trick..

... regardless of whatever the devs will cook for us... ;)

Software Deva's or Devils? It still looks a bit like a Hindi world, where we have to worship hundreds of gods, including the Good the Bad and the Ugly, praying 5 times a day to Sillicon Vally, while the Bug Shiva continuously destroys everything.. But don't shoot the messenger uTorrent. :D

Archived