Okay to delete .torrent files from desktop?

ErnieD

Hi, I am a non-techie, novice torrent user, using an iMac and Firefox.

As a consequence of my uTorrent activity, my desktop is a mess, with .torrent files everywhere.

1) Once a torrent has finished downloading, can I trash the .torrent file without doing any harm?

2) Will deleting the .torrent file prevent me from being able to seed the torrent? I'm committed to sharing every torrent at a ratio of 1.00 or more.

3) Is there a better, more tidy way to direct .torrent files than my desktop, where they might slow down my computer's other activities? Where do you keep your .torrent files, and when do you delete them?

Many thanks for your advice and pointers.

Ernie D

Once a torrent has finished downloading, can I trash the .torrent file without doing any harm?

Only if you remove it from the client.

Will deleting the .torrent file prevent me from being able to seed the torrent?
Yes.
Is there a better, more tidy way to direct .torrent files than my desktop, where they might slow down my computer's other activities? Where do you keep your .torrent files,

Tell uTorrent where to store them in preferences.

OR Set your drowser NOT to use the desktop for it's download location.

Many thanks for your help. A few more questions.

I checked my uTorrent preferences, and they've been set to store .torrents in the uTorrent folder, and move .torrents for finished jobs to dot.torrent files. Some .torrent files appear only on my desktop; some only in the dot.torrent files folder; and some are in both.

How can I remedy this, to have a single destination folder for .torrent files, without duplication?

I assume it has something to do with the browser destination. How do I change that? I looked in Firefox Prefs, and it doesn't seem obvious to me.

Where .torrent files currently exist in duplicate on my desktop and in dot.torrent files folder, can I trash the ones on my desktop and still continue to seed? And for the .torrent files that exist on my desktop but not in the dot.torrent files folder, can I click and drag them into the dot.torrent files folder, and continue to seed them?

How do I change that? I looked in Firefox Prefs, and it doesn't seem obvious to me.

Firefox WILL default to saving downloads to the desktop if the location specified in General -> Downloads is invalid or inaccessible.

And provided uTorrent is set to save the loaded .torrent files elsewhere, any that remain on the Desktop can be deleted.

Archived