Idle query using multiple PC's on a single torrent..

freedomdwarf

Just musing over breakfast when I was bored....

Has anyone used multiple PC's to download a single torrent and does it work??

I'm downloading a very large single torrent (nearly 200GB!).

At the moment, I'm only using one PC to do that torrent and it's taking forever.

ETA is something between 2 and 3 years or more despite having more than 600 peers and almost 200 seeders. The average (after just 5 days) is only 34.7kBps and most times I see it it's barely trickling at 1-6kBps.

So, I was wondering, could I use several other PC's to help this torrent?

Obviously they can't run completely independantly or I'd just get copies of the same stuff.

I was wondering if the other PC's pointed to the torrent file on the main PC (not a copy of it) via the network and also had the target download into the same file as the main one.... would it work??

I understand that there will be traffic across the router, I don't mind that as the router is a Gigabit router and the PC's are only 100mbit ethernet cards and all runnining thru an 8mBit ADSL router.

So I guess I'm asking if utorrent is able to control the sucessful piece request when spread across many PC's - like you would in a distributed database?

Just to clarify: 1 torrent file, 1 target folder/file; accessed by more than one PC using utorrent simulaneously.

I'm using utorrent 3.4Alpha build 30099. DHT says 792 nodes.

Download speeds are governed by how fast the seeds and peers will send pieces not how quickly your client will accept pieces.

n the main PC (not a copy of it) via the network and also had the target download into the same file as the main one.... would it work??
No.
So I guess I'm asking if utorrent is able to control the sucessful piece request when spread across many PC's - like you would in a distributed database?
No,

Archived