uTorrent 3.3.1 (30017) issue - Perferences / Advanced / Run Program

EnigmaTS

The text on the window says...

You can use the following parameters:

%F - Name of downloaded file (for single file torrents)

When using a "Run this program when a torrent finishes" command, the %F parameter seems to have been broken, somewhere between 2.2.1 and 3.3.1.

In v2.2.1, it correctly put text into %F _only_ "for single file torrents".

In v3.3.1, there is text in %F _every_ time

In the Logging Tab, you can see that the text seems to be the name of the file that is stored using the _first_ piece of the torrent's downloaded data.

This issue happens _every_ time, so is easy to repeat. I have _not_ tried this for a "changes state" event.

If you need additional information, please let me know.

There are other threads that discuss the merits of where Quotes should come from. For my part, I developed a solution that works as I need it, by adding the quotes myself, where ever they are required.

However, when I said: "the %F parameter seems to have been broken, somewhere between 2.2.1 and 3.3.1." _is_ correct.

The documentation provided by uTorrent says: "%F - Name of downloaded file (for single file torrents)"

Clearly (?), putting text into %F when it is _not_ "for single file torrents" is different from the code in v2.2.1, and _contrary_ to the text in front of _every_ user of uTorrent v3.3.1.

The text put into %F is of no use, when it is a multi-file torrent, particularly because what text appears in %F comes from whomever created the torrent file, which is _not_ uTorrent-specific.

So, maybe, uTorrent should be corrected to do what the documentation _actually_ says.

As every Tester knows, we raise Issues, and it is up to the Developer to determine whether the deviation from the Specifications & Documentation needs to be resolved, and in what timeframe.

Likewise, it is up to the User to determine whether to accept or reject the product offered by the Developer.

However, given the treatment other people receive when they identify issues with this software, I have reverted to v2.2.1 (Because it has less issues than v3.3.1), rather than expect the issues that currently impact v3.3.1 to be resolved.

I don't know if Regression Testing is performed on uTorrent, but I suggest that it isn't working. If the authors rely of submissions from uTorrent Users, then I can understand why people _don't_ report issues, so they don't get verbally abused. As a result, the issues affecting uTorrent are more likely to increase, rather than decrease.

Of all the issues I have reported (Similar to this, where there is clear deviation from Documentation), only 1 has ever been corrected. Issues I reported related to v2 _still_ exist in v3.3.1, so correcting issues in uTorrent does not appear to be any more important here, than it allegedly is for developers at Microsoft to fix issues in the Disk Caching component of Windows.

Of all the issues I have reported ... Issues I reported related to v2 _still_ exist in v3.3.1

Which ones? Are they on my list?

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=739260#p739260

No.

Probably because they were reported against v2.2.1 (As stated above).

Your list seems to refer only to newly discovered/additional issues caused by coding introduced for v3.x.

As I said above, I have reverted to v2.2.1, so I no longer have any v3.x issues.

Archived