uTorrent huge RAM usage (Windows Disk Cache) issue?

Zusurs

Hi!

If you want to get through quickly, skip to bold text paragraph below.

I'd like to point out that there is still very unpleasant bug in uTorrent, that, combined with Windows Disk Cache (Superfetch) leads to huge excessive RAM usage and eventually after some period of time leads to computer getting slow.

There have been topics about this (e.g. this), but some shortsighted people there didn't understood the problem - it's not the uTorent.exe process that bloats, it's Windows mapped (reserved) memory file, that uTorrent blows to huge size. That's the reason why it can't be seen in Task Manager (but it can be instantly spotted by using Windows built-in Resource monitor, or third party app RAMMap, for example). This causes situation where seemingly nothing uses RAM, but free RAM drops smaller and smaller until Windows starts use pagefile on hard drive, and things start to get slooow and really ugly.

In RAMMap it is clearly visible, that uTorrent causes some of the seeded/leeched torrents to be partly or even fully cached in RAM and it doesn't release them even after they've been stopped to seed.

I have new, fast system with Haswell i7 4770k, 16GB of 1866Mhz RAM, and 10k drive, Win 8. uTorrent (latest 3.3.1) is capable to eat up 12GB of memory in about 6 hours after launch, and that with only 10 torrents, each about 2GB. It's totally unacceptable!

Is it so hard to fix that caching problem (check for handles of used/unused torrents more often, force to drop unnecesary file fragments, or something like that)?

I have new, fast system with Haswell i7 4770k, 16GB of 1866Mhz RAM, and 10k drive, Win 8. uTorrent (latest 3.3.1) is capable to eat up 12GB of memory in about 6 hours after launch, and that with only 10 torrents, each about 2GB. It's totally unacceptable!

So in short, you're blaming uTorrent for a windows issue.

Because uTorrent is a 32-bit application, it will CRASH at 2GB of total ram used.

Beyond that, ram use is caused by the windows disk cache (usually it being stupid).

And again the same useless talk from previous topic I pointed to.

Listen again, I will repeat slowly - there are hundreds of thousands of Windows applications, that flawlessly cooperates with Windows Disk Cache service, and have no problems with it, because they manage their resurses and releases unnecessary data fragments accordingly. uTorrent seemingly have some flaw, which, in turn, from time to time causes WCS to start bleed memory by caching more and more of seeded crap in RAM.

It's not so hard to carefully debug application and find, where and which handles have been set that doesn't allow to release cached content accordingly.

Archived