Lags, Freezes, and Crashes oh My!

TheGoodReverendE

I recently installed windows 8 (x64 standard edition) on a new computer and installed BitTorrent, but because of stability issues, uninstalled that and went with uTorrent (3.3.1 build 30017 32bit). Problem is, the stability issues are still there.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled uTorrent, updated all of my drivers, and run a virus scan with no issues. I'll look next at chkdsk, scandisk, and memtest, but maybe you guys can give me some advice in the mean time...

...so here's what I've got:

1. uTorrent seems to be causing a severe lag or freeze in windows 8. The problems occur most frequently when uTorrent is open, but I can't say for sure it's exclusively. Sometimes it's an application (like excel) freezing and becoming non-responsive, sometimes it's windows explorer, sometimes it's the mouse or the desktop. I haven't seen a correlation yet between how many torrents I have, how much bandwidth I'm using or how many processes/how much memory I'm using and frequency or severity of the lags/freezes. I have an i7 processor and 8g of ram, so I don't expect it's a requirements issue.

Example: uTorrent is running with the window closed and I right click on my windows explorer icon to open the menu, the mouse becomes unresponsive for about 30 seconds to a couple of minutes but everything else carries on. When I go to close the window, the explorer window becomes unresponsive for a few minutes. If i try to click on anything else, any thing I click on may become unresponsive as well, usually requiring a force close and the program to restart. Sometimes the whole system will freeze and I have to manually restart (power button).

2. uTorrent keeps losing my torrents. This is probably just an issue because of the hard resets. Occasionally, and so far only when I've had to force close uTorrent, when I restart uTorrent, all of my pending torrents will be missing. The target directory is still correct and the incomplete files are still there, it's just that uTorrent has forgotten what I was downloading. I have to open the .torrent files to add them back into uTorrent and continue the download.

3. uTorrent freezes (and freezes everything else) when I try to close it. Sometimes when I try to close uTorrent using the exit command in the File menu, it freezes. I can see the title-bar flickering as it ?tries to close. Any other program or window I click on does the same (including task manager) - freezing up with a flickering title-bar and/or flickering window contents. This last one is really a big problem because it always requires a hard restart.

Help with any or all of these problems would be very much appreciated. Of course the problem could be other software or my hardware, but if these are known issues with uTorrent, I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks much.

*edit: I'm using windows defender and I've added utorrent to the firewall whitelist

recently installed windows 8 (x64 standard edition) on a new computer and installed BitTorrent, but because of stability issues, uninstalled that and went with uTorrent (3.3.1 build 30017 32bit). Problem is, the stability issues are still there.
Apart from the paint job on the GUI, BitTorrent and uTorrent are the same thing.

AND there is around twenty threads with this same problem, read them and the possible solutions.

@ciaobaby

Thanks for the clarification; I know both programs are similar and by the same company, but I was under the impression that uTorrent left a smaller footprint.

Regarding the other threads, I haven't found one addressing these issues specifically with the same conditions. If you have links or keywords I'd appreciate them. (seriously, I was looking all over but couldn't find anything and created a log-in specifically because I couldn't find anything)

but I was under the impression that uTorrent left a smaller footprint.

Not that anyone would notice these days.

AND BitTorrent ver 6.0 onwards is using the (closed source) uTorrent core, so they are figuratively and literally the same thing.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=141340

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=141614

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=127388

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=141680

Archived