Windows Explorer problem after using utorrent

madmarshun

I have a problem that happens regularly on both my desktop machine at my office and my laptop at home. If I use utorrent and just leave it running sooner or later it causes a problem in Windows Explorer.

The problem is that when I open Windows Explorer I should see drives in the left panel of the window and files and folders of the selected drive in the right panel but I see nothing in either panel so when I launch Windows Explorer it's just a blank window. I can use the address bar to type the drive I want to go to and see the files and folders of that drive but the left panel is always blank.

I've also noticed that after the problem starts I cannot right-click on anything and see the usual menu that is displayed after right-clicking which is a bigger issue than you might think. I can kill the explorer process and start a new one and that temporarilty resolves the problem but it will happen again within a few minutes. Rebooting also only temporarily resolves the problem. I have had to use system restore repeatedly and if that fails have to restore an image.

The only way I've found to prevent the problem is to only launch utorrent when I need to download something and sit there and watch as it downloads. Then the instant its finished I have to delete the torrent and close utorrent but even then sometimes I have the problem occur. This is not ideal because I would like to seed. Both machines are Windows 7 Professional. One is 32 bit and the other is 64 bit. Very annoying problem.

Interesting problem.

I run my uT in XP Pro and don't ever suffer from that problem across all 12 PC's here.

I also run Win7 Ultimate in a sandbox (Virtualbox) and don't see it happening in there either.

...And I have uT running for days on end - sometimes weeks.

I don't have any machine that runs native Win7 so can't test that.

Ciaobaby: I did several searches prior to posting my question and found no answers hence the reason for my post. I searched on Google and the forums here. I repeated my searches after your post and still found nothing. If you want to be helpful then perhaps you could point to the location of these "several threads" that you reference. If your intention is not to be helpful, why post anything at all?

I am using utorrent 3.3.1. I have used various versions of utorrent for years and never had a problem before. It is the weirdest thing. The fact that it happens on two machines is troubling.

I tried a spare machine at work the week before last that still has Windows XP and it did not happen on that machine. I'm wondering if it is a Windows 7 problem.

Archived