Yet another Zonealarm/Vsmon topic

drvonspawn

gonna make this simple and straight to the point.

ZA and its Vsmon hate utorrent. I have the free version but pro users report the same thing.

downloading anything with a lot of seeders/leechers causes 95-100% cpu usage.

the cause for this is vsmon.....we figured this out like 7 years ago (version doesnt seem to matter).

i have tried everything i found on google to stop this ridiculousness.....and the only thing that has worked is completely shutting down ZA and vsmon has to be disabled in services (XP at least)

while ZA is running. Another solution that is surefire is get another firewall. I prefer not to since ZA has always been good.

Have I overlooked something? I was wondering what was constantly blocking port XXXXX and never thought about utorrent in the systray. So downloading a torrent with a lot of connections causes vsmon.exe to go from 0-5% cpu usage straight to 100% in a matter of seconds.

Just wondering if i should go the "1337" route and make a pFsense firewall box instead of relying on software.

Another solution that is surefire is get another firewall. I prefer not to since ZA has always been good.

Except it hasn't. It actually stopped being good around 2001. Its "protection" code in the VSMon service is horrendous, and any real amount of usage will bring all but the most powerful machines to their knees.

Right now, having no firewall is more secure than having ZoneAlarm, and the windows firewall, as bad and feature limited as it may be, is functionally and performance superior to ZA.

Archived