Dropping seeds?

tjoflojt

I'll go ahead and apologize in advance if this has been covered, I just couldn't think of what to search.

I've spent the last hour or so trying to solve and issue i've been having on and of for ages, but it's gotten way worse since i updated to 3.3.1 (due to 3.1.1 crashing non stop, but that's another matter). I'm sitting on a 100/100 mb/s connection, but i can never seem to make use of it, because whenever i try to download a torrent, it keeps dropping seeds seemingly at random, causing me to have extremely volatile download speed, going from 2 MB/s one moment, to staying at 20 kB/s for 10 minutes the next. It seems to be dropping seeds, simply.

I realize bittorrent isn't a stable protocol, what with packages and whatnot, but it's completely impossible to download stuff larger than a few hundred MB at this rate. It doesn't matter if it's a private or a public tracker. I've tried following guides to fix similar(-ish) problems, but nothing's done the trick. I've checked, and my ISP doesn't throttle.

Do i have an actual, fixable problem, or should I just quit whining?

From what i gather, this would require me to hook up directly to the router, which I, due too a temporary lack of ethernet cables, can't do. Or am I mistaken?

On a side note, how come i can fix most most "regular" computer issues, but as soon as the network starts messing with me, I might as well be a 5-year old with a toy laptop?

EDIT: Nope, didn't need a cable. So i'm in the config, WAN, but the only thing I'm seeing that's close to SPI is SIP ALG. Disabled that, with little to no difference.

EDIT 2: Quick google revealed that i needed to tick "Disable Port scan and DoS protection" (Can't imagine why anyone would want to DoS me). Still can't tell any difference though.

Also set the security from WPA[TKIP]+WPA2[AES] to just WPA2[AES], because it said that that would be faster.
The difference on newer routers is marginal at best.

[

So i'm in the config, WAN, but the only thing I'm seeing that's close to SPI is SIP ALG. Disabled that, with little to no difference.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGN2200/DGN2200_UM_3Feb11.pdf

Start at Chapter 4 on page 39.

Archived