Issue With New Version Update Window

ddn2003

But have you verified that the update is not being applied?

AND what version and build is the one you have installed currently?

These questions are not being asked simply for the fun of it, they are asked as part of the process of trying to find out what is going wrong and why.

I have the same issue.

I am running 3.2.2 (30164).

On startup, it tells me that 30171 is available and asks me if I want to install it.

If I choose "no", nothing happens. If I choose "yes", uT is immediately closed and nothing further happens.

In each case, when I start uT again, it is still 30164 and the process repeats.

seems to be something on/in your machine, my client updated correctly from 30164 to 30171 yesterday and to 30180 about twenty minutes ago.

At least two people have this problem: me and ddn2003.

For me, it started some time ago (3.2.1 I believe).

Are you running the client as Administrator?

Yes, on XP SP3.

As I already have administrative permission, running as administrator would be the same as running as myself.

This is a common misconception, as DWK correctly stated. From stackoverflow.com:

"When you log on Windows creates an access token. This identifies you, the groups you are a member of and your privileges. And note that whether a user is an administrator or not is determined by whether the user is a member of the Administrators group.

Without UAC, when you run a program it gets a copy of the access token, and this controls what the program can access.

With UAC, when you run a program it gets a restricted access token. The is the original access token with "Administrators" removed from the list of groups (and some other changes). Even though your user is a member of the Administrators group, the program can't use Administrator privileges.

When you select "Run as Administrator" and your user is an administrator the program is launched with the original unrestricted access token. If your user is not an administrator you are prompted for an administrator account, and the program is run under that account."

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a lil new information. I checked the updates folder in C:\Users\[my username]\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent and found all the updates, including the latest 3.4.0_30239 in there. It appears the file is being downloaded but not replacing the old file.

Archived