uTorrent Remote Error/Bug

ElaJohn

Same here. I tried connecting using the Android app, which gave me some "can't connect to utorrent, make sure client is connected" error. Then I checked remote.utorrent.com and it gave me the error you two got.

BTW utorrent staff: shouldn't you have some sort of dialogue in your Android app that says "our servers are down. It's NOT your client's fault," rather than making me find a computer just to go to remote.utorrent.com and then see if it's me or the utorrent server.

I have to say, this is another in a long line of problems I've had with Utorrent Remote and I've only been using it a week or less. I even upgraded from old faithful Utorrent 2.2.1 to 3.3.1 just to make use of it.

Let's look at the Android app first. This thing logs off all the time for no apparent reason, or crashes for some other reason when it's just sitting on one of the screens, no buttons being pressed. Even when it is working, all the icons have disappeared, as has the logo on the signin screen, so it's hard to tell which button does which thing cos they're all blank. Not good.

Now between all this crashing, icons disappearing, logging out so often there's this 400 Database Error problem that means this very broken app doesn't work at all now, neither does the remote website - which, by the way, is the only time I got an error message. The broken Android app just moans that the computer isn't there, or gives some other unhelpful error message that tells you nothing.

To be honest if the feature is this broken maybe it should just be removed. It's actually easier to VNC onto the main computer I use with 6TB of capacity for torrenting and add torrents as if I were sitting in front of it, rather than deal with the myriad problems the Utorrent Remote infrastructure has. I may as well drop back to Utorrent 2.2.1 which years later is still the most reliable version I've used.

I don't mean to moan, but I was considering buying Utorrent Plus, not just to remove the ads (which the old version doesn't have, obviously) but cos I wanted to support the developers whose program I have used for a long time now, but I'd guess putting cash down isn't going to get this thing fixed.

Hi zekepliskin,

I am sorry to hear you having so much trouble using the remote tool so soon after you started using it. I have been using this for some time now and I can tell you from my experience this is the exception to the norm rather than the normal experience I have had. I expect this is the result of an outside action I.E. DOS attack or something that was unexpected. I have faith when its cleared up we can continue to use the tool as normal. I can not speak to your experience on the android app as I have not had any trouble with it on the rare and few times I have used it. Anyhow just wanted to let you know this is not normal behavior. Best of luck.

Why not just use the WebUI?

I can see why you would suggest that and I appreciate the thought but I don't have a lot of luck using that on two different touchscreen devices (both running my favourite AOSP software CM 10.2, which is based on Android 4.3) via Browser, Dolphin Browser HD and Firefox. Besides, my primary use for the remote feature is to push magnet links to my PC via TPB app which I don't believe you can do with the WebUI due to the way Android deals with file associations. Could be wrong on that last point though.

Hi zekepliskin,

I am sorry to hear you having so much trouble using the remote tool so soon after you started using it. I have been using this for some time now and I can tell you from my experience this is the exception to the norm rather than the normal experience I have had. I expect this is the result of an outside action I.E. DOS attack or something that was unexpected. I have faith when its cleared up we can continue to use the tool as normal. I can not speak to your experience on the android app as I have not had any trouble with it on the rare and few times I have used it. Anyhow just wanted to let you know this is not normal behavior. Best of luck.

I was pretty thorough when checking things out and before posting here as I see forums as a last resort. Usually even when you do read forum posts someone has had exactly the same problem of you in months and/or years past, a solution was found and you can just copy their solution but doing a "400: Database overloaded. Try again." Google search (with quotes) this thread was the sole result. And less specific variations not wrapped in quotes didn't turn up any relevant Utorrent specific results.

I did try eliminating the "outside action" possibility by cycling the IP addresses a few times (due to the way my broadband provider works, IPs are assigned by MAC address so using DD-WRT on a compliant router allows MAC spoofing thereby forcing a different IP each time the MAC is changed) and using a couple of different VPNs, VPNReactor on another PC and Hideman on the Android devices with the VPN location set to Germany to bypass VM's blocking of TPB. Nothing worked.

I'd doubt a DOS attack my end or on the greater network (i.e. the headend which I can't control) but who knows...

What problems are you having with the Android app?

Well the 400 error is back so getting that remedied is more important, but to copy and paste what I already pointed out about the Android app:

Let's look at the Android app first. This thing logs off all the time for no apparent reason, or crashes for some other reason when it's just sitting on one of the screens, no buttons being pressed. Even when it is working, all the icons have disappeared, as has the logo on the signin screen, so it's hard to tell which button does which thing cos they're all blank. Not good.

Now between all this crashing, icons disappearing, logging out so often there's this 400 Database Error problem that means this very broken app doesn't work at all now, neither does the remote website - which, by the way, is the only time I got an error message. The broken Android app just moans that the computer isn't there, or gives some other unhelpful error message that tells you nothing.

I count four major problems here, which is why I gave it two stars on the Play Store and classed it as "very, very buggy", i.e. basic functionality is broken and the app only looks like an early alpha let alone a beta. This applies to CyanogenMod 10.1 and 10.2, based on the two most recent versions of Android.

If it is an "Overload" condition in the database, and with everyone trying to get back in, I imagine that we have created "failure loop". I don't think it's going to just go away with a couple of server reboots -- which is what I imagine they have been doing since Wednesday. I'd venture to say the problem won't get fixed until they do some serious database work -- which they can't do with the server up. So, until we see the server go down, hard, for (I'm guessing) 12 hours or so, I figure that no one is working on it and we shouldn't expect it to be back until someone does. And... if they couldn't get someone to work on it Wednesday or Thursday, I highly doubt that they'll find someone to come in on a Saturday to do anything.

Here's an example of why the Android app for Utorrent needs improvement. Using my Kindle Fire HD 7 running CyanogenMod 10.2 (AOSP with Android 4.3), the browser gives me this error:

Screenshot_2013-10-05-18-20-41_zps6e52f6c6.png

The 400 error we all know and love. Using the Android app, we get the following three nondescript errors:

Screenshot_2013-10-05-18-19-11_zpsf0670ac2.png

Screenshot_2013-10-05-18-19-20_zps566f3303.png

Screenshot_2013-10-05-18-19-43_zps2b1a8746.png

You'll also notice that the logo graphic is missing from the login screen... all the other images are similarly missing when it does login, even after clearing data, uninstalling and reinstalling. Making a guess from the 2011 copyright notice under the button I'm thinking this works well on Gingerbread but not that well with any Android version from ICS onwards.

Started getting a new error this morning. Couldn't log into the forum because of this as well.

An error occurred during a connection to rapton-i-3f8d7252.utorrent.com:9003. Peer's Certificate has been revoked. (Error code: sec_error_revoked_certificate)

Had to turn of certificate authentication just to log into the forum.

I'm getting problems with window phone 8 application I connect to the computer but not able to see any content of the computer from the phone nor add any torrent, well is added in the phone but not loaded in the computer and the phone says for a second "not able to add" or something like.

when started again the application it asks for synchronize torrents and done accept.

failed to sync

failed to add

sometimes connection with client lost try ...

I've been working with same app in windows phone 7.1 and the same client has worked marvellous but since yesterday that I tried to do test unable to connect.

Archived