VPN and Edge Traversal - is it safe or leaking my real IP?

swamibob

Hi all, I hope someone here knows more about this than i do.

I have blocked outgoing and incoming connections in windows firewall unless I am on a private network, i.e. my VPN, and it works perfectly as far as if I shut down the firewall it immediately stops receiving or sending data through utorrent. I have noticed lately that even if I am not on the vpn sever that allows port forwarding, i was still getting the green check box in the bottom right of utorrent. I decided to look in my windows firewall settings again, and i now see a setting for utorrent (udp in) and (tcp in) in the inbound rules area. When I looked at the properties I see that they were set to allow edge traversal. Was this allowing my connection to bypass my VPN and go directly to the internet using my acutall IP and not the VPN? Since I have changed it to block edge traversal in both of those entries it is no longer getting the green check box unless I am going to the VPN server that assigns me a port and i enter this port in utorrent, which is how I thought it should have been all along. Or am i disabling something that was not causing a leak and just making it harder to connect to other people? Please help and explain.

Thanks,

Swami

I have done the dns leaktest, and i have my dns servers pointed to opendns and that is all it shows there, as well as it shows my vpn ip address there. I am not as worried about my dns sever, I just want to make sure i am not broadcasting my real ip address to everyone i am connected to when I am downloading/sharing torrents.

I really want to know what is shared when you allow edge traversal on the utorrent tcp and udp in my firewall. If anyone has any insight into this i'd appreciate it.

I really want to know what is shared when you allow edge traversal on the utorrent tcp and udp in my firewall.

These are the Incoming rules uTorrent creates if you have "Add Windows Firewall exception" checked in Connection Preferences. They have nothing to do with "broadcasting" anything, they simply make it possible for uTorrent to accept packets that have passed through a NAT router. If you are using OpenVPN, they should have no effect when your communication is tunneled between your TAP network adapter and VPN server.

uTorrent network status indicator has a known deficiency, it can show Green even if no listening port is actually open due to incoming DHT connections. This is most likely why you saw the green check box despite not being on a VPN server that allowed port forwarding.

Archived