Move completed downloads, but don't make "hit'n'runs"

Lucarius

Hello

I have searched for this question, but I have not been able to find a proper answer (it may be that there just isn't one though)

I have a NAS server that I want to have all my files on, however, when you download files through P2P-programs, it wears a lot on your hard drive, so I prefer to use my internal hard drive for that.

So I activated the "move completed downloads" to a folder on my NAS server - however - then they stop seeding (d'oh)

So I am thinking - it's possible to change download location on the torrent - this is implemented in the program - so why can't it load the torrent from the completed download folder - since this is implemented in the program as well?

I hope that I am missing some checkbox or something, because like everyone else, I hate people who make "hit'n'runs" and don't seed after they downloaded, but then again, since I can make an automation for moving the files, I guess it should be able to continue the sharing. It seems odd to me that the developers of utorrent should encourage "hit'n'runs" ;)

Hope that there is a good answer other than "do it manually" :D

For all of you wanting to do these sort of complicated arrangements of directories etc, you are using the WRONG client.

uTorrent is/was very good at doing what it was intended for, and that is a light weight, low use BitTorrent client with minimal features so it has/had a small running footprint.

If you need a complicated workhorse with loys of features and complex arrangements of "save in directories" etc, ten use a BT client that already has those features instead of complaining about the "lack of features".

qBitTorrent has an excellent and very useful "autoload" system that can monitor multiple locations for metadata files and the payload data can be saved into that very same location, but I wouldn't expect that to be added to uTorrent, because it takes up resources when scanning a bunch of directories every 60 seconds or so.

uTorrent has NEVER been a real workhorse client and v3 is even less of one.

It seems odd to me that the developers of utorrent should encourage "hit'n'runs"
But those are the very kind of torrent users that uTorrent was/is aimed at, low use or infrequent downloaders.

BitTorrent USED to be a "workhorse" client until the Open Source core was dropped in favour of the uTorrent closed source code (V6 onwards) now bitTorrent is suffering MORE than uTorrent is, AND you cannot turn the adverts off to reduce the resource bloat slightly.

uTorrent is fine if you are running ten to fifteen jobs, go over thirty jobs loaded, even if only half are actually running you WILL get problems with "Disk overloading", speeds that fluctuate far more than they do normally, random "hanging", interminable shutdowns, excessive "checking" etc. etc.

I have said this before, but nobody forces you to use uTorrent, you have a choice, use a client that serves your needs.

If you need a client that runs as a "service" on Windows, run MLDonkey rather than kludging a uTorrent startup. As with all things using the right tool for the job will yield better results, just because you can drive screws in with a hammer doesn't mean you should.

So if you want a REAL 365 x 24/7 workhorse that can run 10,000 jobs with no real problems, have a Centos 6 box and run rTorrent or kTorrent on it. If you are serious about BitTorrenting you'll never want to go back to a Windows client!

If you noticed, I was actually not complaining, and I started out saying that I wasn't sure if what I asked for was part of the program.

Thanks for your answer, even though it could have been summed down to "No, what you are asking is not possible with utorrent"

Sure but as you may not have read in the very first sentence.

For all of you wanting to do these sort of complicated arrangements of directories etc, you are using the WRONG client.

So not solely aimed at you, but for anyone and everyone who may read this thread in the future.

Archived