"DHT: Waiting to log in" Or "DHT: 0 (Login)" displayed.

smallnoddy

Hello Everybody,

I have a very peculiar problem. I am using a very old version of uTorrent (version 1.8.2) since 2006 and it was working fine up till 6th-Oct-2013. Till date I have more than 5000 torrents (approx. 5300+) registered in it and was working well (4300+ torrents downloaded successfully) and therefore did not upgrade to the latest version of utorrent. My setup is

very simple i.e. my PC is a core i7 system (Intel processor), Gigabyte H77M-D3H motherboard running on windows XP service pack 3 (32 bit) with 4 GB RAM (and actually it only shows 3.4 GB in the system and not the full 4GB because of the limitation of Windows XP's 32 bit Operating system). Further on, this PC is connected to a CISCO modem (supplied by my ISP) and the speed of my internet connection package is 2 MBPS (1:1 for both download and upload). That means I get a speed of approx 205-210 kBps. This setup was working fine till 05-Oct-2013. I also have latest Norton 360 version running on the system (which gets automatically updated via the internet, since the system is connected to the internet

16-18 hours a day). I have been using the Norton 360 products since 2009 (from version 3 onwards) and it has never given a problem to the utorrent application's uploading or downloading activity. In the Norton 360 setting, the uTorrent application is given a "go-through" or a "bypass" (i.e. Norton 360 does not stop utorrent applications connections from going outside or coming inside).

Suddenly on 06-Oct-2013, when I started my utorrent application on the bottom bar of utorrent, I have been getting the "DHT: Waiting to log in" message and there is practically no downloads happening. Sometimes it even displays "DHT: 0 (Login)" and there is practically no downloads. Besides the DHT notification area, there is the network notification area in which the network icon has a GREEN tick (which tells that the network is OK). I can browse properly via my mozilla firefox browser without any issue but the uTorrent downloads is not working.

I tried formatting the C drive and then reinstalling the Windows Xp Operating system, service pack 3 again and then installing the same version of utorrent (i.e. uTorrent v.1.8.2) again, but the same message (i.e. sometimes "DHT: Waiting to log in" is displayed and sometimes "DHT: 0 (Login)") is displayed and there are no downloads. I remember previously my DHT connection used to have a figure of approx 310 to 340+ and the word (Updating) displayed besides it.

I have also tried deleting the "setting.dat.old.*", "dht.dat.old.*", resume.dat.old.*" etc ... files in the "%AppData%/utorrent" directory and restarted the utorrent application after deletion the mentioned files, but it does not seen to help.

I am also ready to upgrade to the latest version of uTorrent, but how do I migrate the 5300+ torrent (I want all the 5300+ torrents to be available in the new version of torrent application, that I will be using and loading the 5300+ torrent one by one in the new version of utorrent is a hectic job and I don't want to do that.

I had spoken to my ISP (Internet Service Provider) and they say that they have not done any changes or anything from their side in the recent past to stop or curtail the utorrent application connections which the user run on their systems.

To test further after speaking to my ISP (Internet Service Provider), I tried downloading the Open office bundle via my utorrent and surprising it downloaded at my original speed of 210 kBps. So then again tried to download my other torrents and the situation was the same (i.e. sometimes "DHT" Waiting to log in" is displayed and sometimes "DHT: 0 (Login)") is displayed.

It is requested to kindly help me is giving me a solution for solving the "DHT: Waiting to log in" problem or "DHT: 0 (Login)" problem. Otherwise, kindly me to upgrade to the newer and latest version of utorrent and then porting all the 5300+ utoents to this new version of utorrent will also be fine.

Kindly help.

smallnoddy.

I am also ready to upgrade to the latest version of uTorrent, but how do I migrate the 5300+ torrent (I want all the 5300+ torrents to be available in the new version of torrent application, that I will be using and loading the 5300+ torrent one by one in the new version of utorrent is a hectic job and I don't want to do that.

Just replace the existing utorrent.exe with the one you download.

I also have latest Norton 360 version running on the system

Remove it completely

I am using a very old version of uTorrent (version 1.8.2)
NOT supported on these forums.

5300+ jobs on ver 3???? Not a hope in hell, even without Norton's meddling.

Hello ciaobaby,

Thank you very much for your super fast reply. I upgraded to µTorrent Stable (3.3.2 build 30180) version from version 1.8.2. However the same error i.e. sometimes "DHT: Waiting to log in" is displayed and sometimes "DHT: 0 (Login)" is still displayed. Even the new torrents which I have loaded in this new µTorrent Stable (3.3.2 build 30180) are not downloading working and the same error is displayed. There seem to be no difference to my earlier situation when version 1.8.2 was running. Kindly help.

Kindly let me the outputs or setting from the operating system or the parameters setting of utorrent you want to see and I will cut+paste is here.

Kindly help.

smallnoddy.

It's not necessarily a uTorrent problem, as the "waiting to login" status is indicative of being 'Firewalled'.

All the tests you should do and information that is needed can be found in this thread >>

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

And DHT troubleshooting is at >> https://depthstrike.com/2007/11/24/utorrent-dht-troubleshooting

Hello TheRageIsOn,

I do not use a proxy. The PC is directly connected to a CISCO modem via a cable which connects to the internet. Downloads may or may not work, but below in the taskbar, the message "DHT: Waiting to log in" Or "DHT: 0 Nodes (Login)" is displayed continuously. Kindly help.

During the weekend I upgraded the Operating System from Windows XP SP3 to Windows 7 SP1 and also updated all the patches. Next, I upgraded the µTorrent to µTorrent Stable (3.3.2 build 30180) version from version 1.8.2. Even then the same error (i.e. DHT: Waiting to log in" is displayed and sometimes "DHT: 0 (Login)) is displayed. Very rarely (i.e. sometimes), DHT displays "DHT: 3 (Login) Nodes" or sometimes it shows "DHT : 5 (login) Nodes". The DHT never improves beyond that. Now I strongly feel that the problem is not with the Operating system but somewhere within the µTorrent itself. Can somebody kindly help. I can provide all the µTorrent parameter reading/settings that I have done. Earlier the DHT logins used to be around 300-350, but now it is gone down to "DHT: Waiting to log in" or sometimes "DHT: 0 (Login)). Very rarely (i.e. sometimes), DHT displays "DHT: 3 (Login) Nodes" or sometimes it shows "DHT : 5 (login) Nodes". Kindly help.

Archived