Utorrent starts up of it's own accord.

Robert the Bruce

At the end of every night if I'm using utorrent I always without fail make sure I right-click the utorrent icon on my taskbar then when the new window asks me 'Are you sure you want to exit utorrent' I always click 'Yes.'

However, recently when I start my PC up I've noticed that the utorrent icon is already on my Taskbar, as if it hasn't shut down.

I did not change the settings to launch utorrent on Start-Up and wouldn't know how to anyway.

Can anyone tell me how to make sure utorrent shuts down properly and stays shutdown until I open it up ?

My O.S. is Windows XP.

Can anyone tell me how to make sure utorrent shuts down properly and stays shutdown until I open it up ?

Use File -> Exit rather than a Windows

I start my PC up I've noticed that the utorrent icon is already on my Taskbar, as if it hasn't shut down.

Actually running, or in the "Quick Launch" toolbar section?

And/Or is uTorrent set to start when Windows starts?

Because WE do not actually KNOW why, the questions to find out IF it really is starting up or you are simply mistaking a "Quick Launch" icon for uTorrent's tray icon.

AND IF you bothered to look in the user manual, you could have found the answer without even ASKING a question.

So who is the more annoying? The people trying to find the reason or you for seemingly being incapable of actually helping yourself????

Because WE do not actually KNOW why, the questions to find out IF it really is starting up or you are simply mistaking a "Quick Launch" icon for uTorrent's tray icon.

AND IF you bothered to look in the user manual, you could have found the answer without even ASKING a question.

So who is the more annoying? The people trying to find the reason or you for seemingly being incapable of actually helping yourself????

Well you SHOULD know why. I don't know the difference between a 'Quick Launch' icon and a utorrent tray icon. All I know is that utorrent is running (in the background) when I start my PC up and it didn't used to do that. I had to physically start utorrent once my PC was up-n-running and physically shut down utorrent at the end of the night. Now it obviously doesn't shut down OR it starts up when I switch on my PC.

Well you SHOULD know why.
Don't be so damned stupid, we at this end of the forum cannot see waht your machine is doing or how you have it set up. So unless YOU actually explain fully, any answer will be a GUESS!!!!!!!
I don't know the difference between a 'Quick Launch' icon and a utorrent tray icon

Which is why the question of "Which end of the toolbar" was asked, because the "tray icon" is at the right, adjacent to the clock and the quick launch bar is adjacent to the [start] button.

So now we have established that it is DEFINITELY a tray icon Click on:

Options -> Preferences -> General and uncheck the box that says ... "[ ] Start uTorrent when Windows Starts" because, .... guess what that does? ..........

And yes, the patronising IS deliberate.

I KNOW that. My problem was/is HOW did it happen if I did not change the settings in the first place.

Ok so WHY did you not ask that question and provide THAT information in the first place, then no-one would have needed to go on a long roundabout trek to find out what you do know and what you don't know????

Archived