Why does uT generate a "computer id", and why is it always the same?

glnz

Why does uTorrent generate a "computer id", and why is it always the same? Each time I start uT, the Logger tab shows a long "computer id", and it is always the same. It's 40 characters long, but I have tested, and it is the same on every startup.

Is there any way to make it stop, or at least change on each uT startup? Is it being filed somewhere, whether on my PC or somewhere in the uT cloud?

Also, the Logger tab says that IPv6 is installed and shows a Toredo address. Same questions.

Won't these two things help someone track my activities with uT?

As to this question, my bt.randomize_peer_id has always been set to true,

but I get the same computer id every time. It is NOT changing each time I start uTorrent.

What should I do?

I have uT 3.3.1 on a Win XP Pro SP3 machine, and my ISP is Verizon DSL.

Thanks.

Dear ciaobaby - your response is quite brief and a little surprising. I'll update to the latest - which I understand is 3.3.2 - but I doubt it has any bearing on this issue.

In the earlier thread on this issue, when we all had earlier versions of uTorrent, you advised that setting bt.randomize_peer_id to true would fix this. But that is not happening.

Also, can you send me the link to the manual, which I haven't been able to find, and advise which page or section to look in regarding this issue?

Finally, given that confidentiality is very important to almost all users of uT, why is this happening at all?

Thanks.

can you send me the link to the manual, which I haven't been able to find,

Press F1 on your keyboard with the uTorrent GUI focussed.

which I understand is 3.3.2 - but I doubt it has any bearing on this issue.
It hasn't, just that UNLESS you are running the latest version,you are not supported at these forums ... regardless of how trivial that appears.
you advised that setting bt.randomize_peer_id to true would fix this. But that is not happening.

Computer ID and Peer ID are not the same thing.

Your question of ....

Won't these two things help someone track my activities with uT?

Is what the randomise peer id setting can do, computer ID is internal

Archived