Broken Magnet Links in Windows 8.1

skydemon

Hello, i have the issue with Magnet Links in Windows 8.1 x64. The association was broken when i got update from Win8 to Win8.1. Every time when i starting uTorrent in Admin mode it asking me to fix the association, but *.torrent files are already associated with program (i think because i have properly working program in Win8). Association with *.torrent files is still working properly and i have no issues with that. I just want to fix associations with magnet links. It's annoying to work with these links manually. When i go in the Settings -> General the button which charged to fix association is unpressed - always! I suppose that Microsoft has changed something in association algorithm in new Windows 8.1 and uTorrent can't properly make association with that protocol. The association properties with torrent files could be transferred from previous version. My software: uTorrent 3.3.2 (30260) 32Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro x64.

Thank you)) I've done that survey))))) and my assumption was quite right. With help of this tweak i have Windows 8's popup with info that i have no any program associated with this kind of links in my system and it suggests me to find it in windows store. Well now i have to find out how i can fix association in uTorrent. :(

Thank you again!) Unfortunately it doesn't help too((((( I have no any Windows prompt window (in the part with UAC and shop) and didn't find any created registry values as in the post on that page :( I did everything that was written there, but still everything the same(((( uTorrent doesn't want do that work in the registry and i don't understand why!

AND

the registry settings are

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Magnet]

@="Magnet URI"

"Content Type"="application/x-magnet"

"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Magnet\DefaultIcon]

@="\"C:\\Users\\Chris\\AppData\\Roaming\\uTorrent\\uTorrent.exe\",0"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Magnet\shell]

@="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Magnet\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Magnet\shell\open\command]

@="\"C:\\Users\\Chris\\AppData\\Roaming\\uTorrent\\uTorrent.exe\" \"%1\""

Edit the paths to suit your setup, save with a .reg extension, RC and choose Merge

thank you so much for your help with this registry entry. I've created the reg file and paste there your extraction from registry, but again i had no luck((((( I do not know what i am doing wrong, i tried a lot of different ways but i didn't manage to import these strings :( every time i am getting the error window with text:

Can not import file ###, Not all data was successfully written into the registry. Some keys are opened by system or you have no insufficient privileges to perform this operation

I even tried to import into the registry by using regedit opened as administrator :(

Archived