Internet Connection Failing When Downloading

ten88

Ok, I'll preface this cry for help with an apology. I've seen quite a few of these topics around and have attempted to use them to fix my own problems, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. I've been using uTorrent for a few years now without issue, though recently I switched IP providers in addition to swapping out a hard line for a wifi connection with the PC I typically use. Finding a router was a chore unto itself as I had to purchase a USB adapter as well since my wifi card is sub-par to put it lightly. With that said, it seems to be working fine at the moment until, that is, I attempt to use uTorrent for longer than twenty minutes. At that point, my connection drops out even though my router claims that connections are available or limited. After that, the only way I've found to remedy the situation is to reboot the computer all together and the connection seems to reset (until I attempt to use uTorrent again, of course.) I can't really fathom why this keeps happening since, while I've been using uTorrent for a few years now, I'm nonetheless out of my depth. Another peculiar thing that may or may not be unrelated is when I run the Setup Guide tests, it states that my ports aren't forwarded correctly even though it says my connection is OK in the status bar (which I cannot take a face value anymore.) I'm not completely unfamiliar with port forwarding as I've done so in the past for uTorrent, but that was with a hard line and not a wifi connection. Any help on these matters would be much appreciated as for the last few months it seems I've been banging my head against a brick wall.

Information:

uTorrent version: 3.3.2

router: Netgear 6250

antivirus: avast! Free Antivirus

Archived