Strange behaviour

bugreport01

Hi, i have utorrent always open day and night, and in the last few weeks i've noticed some strange and very bad behaviour (3.3.2, windows 7 x32). Download and uploads from different sites suddenly slow down to a crawl(goes from 5xx kB/s downloads to 60, sometimes less. uploads go from 500 kB/s to 5 kB/s.) It stays like that until i close it and open again, be it an hour, or days (i didn't suspect of the client the first time this happened, so didn't try to restart utorrent and it was like that for days). I repeat, it's not until i close utorrent and reopen it that it goes back to normal. Today i added new torrents and they wouldn't even start downloading (Finding peers for hours), when i knew for a fact that thousands of seeds are available. It's been like that for a good six hours. Then i thought of the bug, closed utorrent, opened and all of sudden skyrocketed from 5kB/s upload to 600 kB/s constant for an hour now, and downloads started as soon as i opened it and are already finished. There is definitely something wrong here. There's no connection drops (i can still browse all the time and play games online, my system resources usage is always <10% cpu, <50% ram), disk isn't overloaded, so i highly suspect utorrent bug. It happens randomly. Sometimes a few hours after opening it, sometimes days or even a week. It specially bothers me because it's sometimes hard to tell if all peers from different networks are just slow or it's just me. And i often leave my box alone for a week and would hate this happening only a couple hours after leaving home and being stuck like that for the rest of the week if i don't have remote access to it, which isn't easy sometimes. Closing utorrent and opening it and seeing both DL and UL spike to normal speeds (constant, my torrents are popular. it's not transient spikes) is infuriating because of time wasted transferring at ridiculous low speeds (compared to my available bandwidth).

Hope this helps. If you need anymore info please ask. I used a disposable e-mail address. If there's an irc channel i'll be happy to talk to someone there. Thanks for keeping utorrent alive, i lurk these forums a lot and are very helpful.

Hi, but the problem is it can stay so slow for days, and as soon as i close utorrent and open it again it spikes to way higher speeds, like from 5kB/s to 500 kB/s. and it's not that some peer connected in that time. I know for sure there are hundreds of seeds and very few leechers available. And as soon as i restart utorrent i start downloading/uploading as i should. I'm confident it's not a matter of bad luck.

Edit: and of course it stays as usual for days until this problem happens again. As i said it's not transient spikes, but a very noticeable constant difference between when it 'doesn't work' and when it does.

Update intervals are set by the tracker not your client.

Do you have randomize_peer_id set to true?
Yes i do.

During various testing setups, I've noticed that some trackers will not update if randomize_peer_id is set to true, simply because that setting causes a different ID to be sent to the tracker with each update request, so not getting a response does not keep the swarm count and therefore connectable peers in synch. Setting it to false avoids this situation. So it is quite possible that this issue of the client requiring a restart to correct the drop, is connected to randomised peer ids.

Set it to false and see if that solves or reduces the problem.

Archived