Re-organize Auto Shutdown menu items

agent007bond

Firstly, it's left-click. This sub-menu appears when you left-click Options > Auto Shutdown. As far as I know, there's no way of getting this submenu via a right-click.

Secondly, You don't need to do "two separate clicks" all the time. As for me, I always only use the "When Downloads Complete" option, so I can always leave that section of the menu pre-selected and never have to select it over and over again. All I need to do is choose which of the shutdown options should be in effect when that happens, which takes only one click, in both menus.

That is the idea here, to let the second option be pre-selected for whatever the user prefers, letting them only ponder over the first section. It leads to a less confusing, more intuitive and more visually appealing menu.

I should probably mention before you misunderstand that the "When Downloads Complete" in the example should always remain selected. Even if user selects "Standby" and the computer goes into Standby and that section resets to "Do nothing", the section with "When Downloads Complete" option doesn't reset.

So the user does not have to bother with that section unless they explicitly requires changing it to the second option (When Everything Completes). With the existing menu, the user always have to stop and think for a moment which of the two standby options they have to choose - they are always forced to choose between the two versions.

Firstly, it's left-click. This sub-menu appears when you left-click Options > Auto Shutdown. As far as I know, there's no way of getting this submenu via a right-click.

Yeah, apologies for that, no idea why I was thinking

click but typed right click instead. However the two click issue stil remains. Do not under-estimate the end user's ability to cock thing up. Whenever a GUI operation requires two seperate 'clicks' to accomplish a single task it WILL cause user 'issues', there was many problems and complaints (myself being one of those) when the multiple label concept and context menu was introduced, it takes two right clicks to change a label, three or more if you are setting multiple labels AND a primary one. And the same applies to the Options -> Automatic Shutdown, to change more than one option, which WILL happen far more times for others than you may currently consider, requires the menu to be displayed twice. Certainly your layout would work and be more intuitive IF it was a static dialogue with two panels, but this is a 'show on click -> hide on select' menu pane and to make it ANYTHING ELSE would require the introduction of a THIRD button set for the [[OK]|[Cancel], which promptly defeats the object of it being a "one time" selection that defaults back to disabled when the event is triggered and shutdown occurs.

That is the idea here, to let the second option be pre-selected for whatever the user prefers, letting them only ponder over the first section. It leads to a less confusing, more intuitive and more visually appealing menu.

But setting that preference initially requires two menu operations ... therefore LESS intuitive.

Client shutdown IS intended as a ONE TIME EVENT only in just about every BitTorrent client that there is.

Archived