Announcing The New µTorrent Server for Linux

rockett

Find the new builds here: http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/linux

We're providing tarballs for 64/32 bit Ubuntu 13.04 and Debian 6. If you're on either of those, the app should just work out of the box.

If you're on Ubuntu 13.10, you shouldn't have any problem using the 13.04 tarballs without any dependency management.

If you're on Ubuntu 12.04, you'll need to install libssl0.9.8 `sudo apt-get install libssl0.9.8`

If you are on Debian 7, you'll need to install 32 or 64 bit builds of libssl0.9.8 from Debian 6 (Squeeze). They are available here:

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libssl0.9.8

`sudo dpkg -i <downloaded_package_name>`

If you're on CentOS 6, use the Debian tarball. You'll need to install the package openssl098e `sudo yum install openssl098e` - you'll also need to symbolically link the installed .so's for utserver to find them:

'sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libssl.so.0.9.8e /usr/lib64/libssl.so.0.9.8'

'sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.0.9.8e /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.0.9.8'

• 2 weeks later...
If you're on Ubuntu 12.04, you'll need to install libssl0.9.8 `sudo apt-get install libssl0.9.8`

Apparently x64 Ubuntu is compiled against libc6 2.16 so it won't run on 12.04/12.10, even if you install libssl0.9.8:

ldd utserver

./utserver: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.16' not found (required by ./utserver)

A bit too cutting edge for the LTS server in the back of my closet... :/

Seriously I appreciate the effort to provide this software and keep a server version available, but I really wish there was a policy to provide static images. The whole point of ubuntu 12.04 is to have a stable platform for a long period of time and this "closed source + dynamic linking" combination defeats that. Glibc is so fundamental to the system that taking a new version of utorrent means updating the OS. We really need you to statically link to break this dependency or provide more builds. 12.04 LTS would be the most useful missing one, but I'm sure you agree more version specific builds is the pathway to hell. Statically linking seems like the better way to go.

steve

The whole point of ubuntu 12.04 is to have a stable platform for a long period of time and this "closed source + dynamic linking" combination defeats that. We really need you to statically link to break this dependency or provide more builds. 12.04 LTS would be the most useful missing one, but I'm sure you agree more version specific builds is the pathway to hell. Statically linking seems like the better way to go.

Given how the build and test system for uTorrent Server works, I'm not sure that more version-specific builds would be the worse choice. Everything is automated except for setting up a stress test. It would probably be easier to resume builds on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (2 builds - one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit). I will discuss this in our engineering group to see what to do about this.

Hi, I have a problem. I configure the destination folder for new downloads, but if i stop the program when I start it again the box of destination folder it's empty and the downloads are in the program root folder. The others configurations all ok. I tried to make a utserver.conf, but when the utserver starts, the file disappears.

Hi, I have a problem. I configure the destination folder for new downloads, but if i stop the program when I start it again the box of destination folder it's empty and the downloads are in the program root folder. The others configurations all ok. I tried to make a utserver.conf, but when the utserver starts, the file disappears.

Same problem here!

Also it eats memory and then dies whenever a torrent starts. But the disk cache setting doesn't seem to have an effect and/or doesn't survive a restart either. Going back to the old version for now..

The manual only hints at this unforunately - but some options in utserver.conf are only read on the very first run. Here is a list of items that are read each time:

* dir_download

* dir_request

* preferred_interface

* disk_cache_max_size

* localhost_authentication

* logmask

* ut_webui_dir

* uconnect_username

* uconnect_password

* uconnect_enable

So to specify a folder for download complete you should either do so in utserver.conf before your first run OR use the WebUI's settings page to do so (Under the Settings Gear Icon -> Directories).

To be sure, are you specifying dir_download or dir_complete in your utserver.conf?

I have not seen a utserver.conf file disappearing before. Could you please PM me your exact procedure so I may try reproducing it?

I just notice this forum. Can anyone tell me if or when a Windows version of µTorrent Server, or is this another no go project for Windows?

Thank You. :/

I do not expect there to be a Windows version of µTorrent Server. About the closest you can get is keeping µTorrent minimized to your tray and using the WebUI in your web browser.

Same problem here!

Also it eats memory and then dies whenever a torrent starts. But the disk cache setting doesn't seem to have an effect and/or doesn't survive a restart either. Going back to the old version for now..

Please see my above message about utserver.conf in regards to "Same problem here".

For the memory and torrent problems - can you please PM me your steps to reproduce, your utserver.conf, what settings you're using in the WebUI, as well as how you're measuring memory usage?

In regards to shinySideDown and dsm1212 noting 12.04 problems - at our standup today mcdonald reported progress on 12.04 builds. I'll put those builds on a stresstest this week and we'll update the forums and download page when it's ready.

I realize this isn't officially supported, but...

Running utserver under Arch Linux (manjaro), installed through the AUR. Updated binary to the latest build manually. Server used to run great, but now won't start. It's throwing errors and aborting. Briefly had a conflict with webmin (both like to occupy port 10000), but corrected that by changing the webmin port. There are two warnings in the log about "no version information available." These warnings did not normally have an effect on utserver daemon starting. Problem seems to be with "assert failed strfmt.cpp:536". Please advise if possible, thanks ^^

I would include the dump, but I'm unable to locate it. Here's the error:

$ systemctl status utserver

utserver.service - uTorrent Server Daemon

Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/utserver.service; enabled)

Active: failed (Result: core-dump) since Sat 2013-12-14 21:01:56 PST; 24min ago

Process: 14317 ExecStart=/usr/bin/utserver -configfile /etc/utserver.conf -settingspath /opt/utorrent-server/ (code=dumped, signal=ABRT)

Main PID: 14317 (code=dumped, signal=ABRT)

CGroup: /system.slice/utserver.service

systemd[1]: Started uTorrent Server Daemon.

utserver[14317]: /usr/bin/utserver: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/utserver)

utserver[14317]: /usr/bin/utserver: /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/utserver)

utserver[14317]: assert failed strfmt.cpp:536 (30235)

systemd[1]: utserver.service: main process exited, code=dumped, status=6/ABRT

systemd[1]: Unit utserver.service entered failed state.

The manual only hints at this unforunately - but some options in utserver.conf are only read on the very first run. Here is a list of items that are read each time:

* dir_download

* dir_request

* preferred_interface

* disk_cache_max_size

* logmask

* ut_webui_dir

* uconnect_username

* uconnect_password

* uconnect_enable

So to specify a folder for download complete you should either do so in utserver.conf before your first run OR use the WebUI's settings page to do so (Under the Settings Gear Icon -> Directories).

To be sure, are you specifying dir_download or dir_complete in your utserver.conf?

I have not seen a utserver.conf file disappearing before. Could you please PM me your exact procedure so I may try reproducing it?

My utserver.conf:

dir_active: /opt/downloads

upnp: false

natpmp: false

lsd: false

I want dir_active to be the only thing set (I use the append_incomplete setting). However, this gets moved to dir_completed the next time utserver is started and dir_active is ignored.

utserver[14317]: assert failed strfmt.cpp:536 (30235)

Can you enable logging (logmask: 0xffffffff in utserver.conf) and post the relatively few lines at the end of the log? This indicates that there's some sort of message generation that is failing because the message template directs there be a reference to an IP address, but none exists in the corresponding argument. Since this can occur in many places in the code, it would be nice to get more of an idea what the system was attempting to generate a message about. Thanks.

* dir_download

* dir_request

* preferred_interface

* disk_cache_max_size

* logmask

* ut_webui_dir

* uconnect_username

* uconnect_password

* uconnect_enable

To be sure' date=' are you specifying dir_download or dir_complete in your utserver.conf?

[/quote']

My utserver.conf:

dir_active: /opt/downloads

upnp: false

natpmp: false

lsd: false

I want dir_active to be the only thing set (I use the append_incomplete setting). However, this gets moved to dir_completed the next time utserver is started and dir_active is ignored.

+1

• 2 weeks later...

This version seems to be massively broken. It seems to forget some of my settings after a restart.

If I go in and set the directory for new downloads and then download a torrent it works. After restarting uTorrent server though it completely forgets the new downloads directory. This also applies to enabling the auto-load directory for torrents (remembers the path but not the enabled checkbox).

After I set the download directory it appears in the settings.dat file. After I stop the file it exists in the settings.dat file. After I re-start the server it is now missing in the settings.dat file.

I have started with a completely fresh install of utserver. I never had this problem with the previous versions.

Another obnoxious problem is the logic by which it picks a UI port. It will randomly pick 10000 or 10015 (even if nothing is listening on 10000).

Also forgets the incoming port. I set it to 65300 and it defaults back to 6881 when it restarts.

Is it me or is this development tree going downhill?

I am experiencing a strange behaviour with this release. For the torrents I am actively seeding, utorrent changes the modification date of the containing folder. Only for the folder. For the files inside there is no change in the dates. It is really annoying, as now it is impossible to arrange the downloaded content into downloaded date order. Instead the freshly seeded ones get the latest dates. Also backup software gets confused by the changing dates.

Is it a known problem ? Are there any workarounds possible ?

Thanks for the help !

• 3 weeks later...

if found some problem in this version, where can I post the problem

1. I added "persistent label" and webui doesn't know then.

2. I added "new label" when i'm try to add label on torrent file it's not shown any label that i'm added.

3. I can use all web-api feature on webui.0.388.zip, label problem is not see here

• 4 weeks later...

I can't get utserver to change the webui port at all. My config file is simply ut_webui_port: 8081 and when I launch I get this:

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:6881            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      15630/utserver  tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9090            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      15630/utserver  tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:10000         0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      15630/utserver  tcp        0      0 192.168.2.5:34047       192.168.2.1:2555        ESTABLISHED 15630/utserver  tcp6       0      0 :::6881                 :::*                    LISTEN      15630/utserver  tcp6       0      0 :::8080                 :::*                    LISTEN      15630/utserver  udp        0      0 192.168.2.5:56330       0.0.0.0:*                           15630/utserver  udp        0      0 192.168.2.5:5351        0.0.0.0:*                           15630/utserver  udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:42838         0.0.0.0:*                           15630/utserver  udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:1900            0.0.0.0:*                           15630/utserver  udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:49456         127.0.1.1:53            ESTABLISHED 15630/utserver  udp        0      0 10.8.0.10:59802         0.0.0.0:*                           15630/utserver  udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:6881            0.0.0.0:*                           15630/utserver  udp6       0      0 :::6881                 :::*                                15630/utserver  

Also not working here, you advertise support for 12.04, I'm running 12.04 up to date, but like others, it required GLIBC_2.16....

Fair enough if it doesn't work on 12.04, don't advertise that it does then.

Same problem here, if only someone posted an updated tutorial for Ubuntu 12.04 lts (both 32bit and 64bit). I don't know why, but I can't find a good tutorial for this.

I'm running 12.04 up to date, but like others, it required GLIBC_2.16....

Engineering has new versions built and tested for Ubuntu 12.04 and 13.04, and Debian 6 and 7.  We are waiting on the deployment folks to make these available for download from the web site.

Archived