uTorrent crashes my whole computer constantly

Ouroboros

So NOD32 WAS causing the BSOD?

I turned off NOD32 but did not unistall because of a lack of time. uTorrent has been up for more than 9 hours and is still going. I should report that I before I turned off NOD and the system crashed - I set the disk cache to manual and 64 Meg. I also have an error message cannot write resume data when I set a particular torrent downloading. The system CPU is up at 100% but the torrent is still coming down.

So I stopped what I think is the offending torrent and the system is still jammed at 100% cpu doing nothing. I have no active AV so what AV does utorrent like?

I will completely uninstall NOD and see what happens.

Cheers

NOD32 unloaded and my system is behaving. What AV should I use?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kaspersky's one of the best commercial antivirus. As far as free, AVG or ClamWin are good.

I'll try Kaspersky again - I used to use it but switched to NOD because it is better and less of a memory hog. Kaspersky Anti Hacker does not work with uTorrent so I hope the AV does.

Cheers

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security 2006 with µTorrent just fine.

I think I have solved my problems - I unistalled NOD32 and have had no CPU overloads or BSOD events for 12 hours - running with no AV etc. I have installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2006 and everything is working very well - no CPU overload or BSOD.

I will now stop moaning and love utorrent again.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

FYI my system is a crappy old PIII 600Mhz with 500 MB RAM and XPSP2 running Kaspersky 2006.

snarler45: lol you better ;P

I wish I was Ultima (I did think so). My downloading system is working better but I have had 2 BSOD problems and one utorrent crash error in the last day. The latest BSOD did not have any driver error messages the stop message was:

0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0X80575FD5, 0XF7EFF860, 0XF7EFF55C)

I have mem dumps if they are of use 50K and 6.2 Megs

After a crash while the torrents are being checked the CPU load on my system is 100% - is this normal?

I think I will try another system but will have to wait till this evening - wage slavery today - I will use a more powerful box because a 600MHz PIII is a bit weedy and it has been on 24X7 for years (a lot of torrents). I am a bit sceptical because I have done a lot of software testing and a crappy slow box is the best way to find probs (provided the kit is up to the required spec).

snarler45: lol you better ;P

I wish I was Ultima (I did think so). My downloading system is working better but I have had 2 BSOD problems and one utorrent crash error in the last day. The latest BSOD did not have any driver error messages the stop message was:

0X0000007E (0XC0000005' date=' 0X80575FD5, 0XF7EFF860, 0XF7EFF55C)

I have mem dumps if they are of use 50K and 6.2 Megs

After a crash while the torrents are being checked the CPU load on my system is 100% - is this normal?

I think I will try another system but will have to wait till this evening - wage slavery today - I will use a more powerful box because a 600MHz PIII is a bit weedy and it has been on 24X7 for years (a lot of torrents). I am a bit sceptical because I have done a lot of software testing and a crappy slow box is the best way to find probs (provided the kit is up to the required spec).[/quote']

Well my Saga continues - I witnessed a utorrent crash - this was reported as windows running out of memory at the same time Kaspersky reported a Helkern attack. I have been suffering various attacks and it seems they may have been part of the problem.

Ho hum. I'm not sure what to do if my security applications don't stop my box crapping out. I should know becuase I am a networking consultant - LOL

HijackThis and Process Viewer can find malware that antivirus and antispyware software miss.

But you have to know how to read their output to know what's good and what's bad.

(I google everything I don't know about to find out if it's malware.)

• 2 weeks later...
HijackThis and Process Viewer can find malware that antivirus and antispyware software miss.

But you have to know how to read their output to know what's good and what's bad.

(I google everything I don't know about to find out if it's malware.)

Thanks for the suggestion - I will have a look. I have the odd BSOD sometimes with a driver error message sometimes not. I will change out my hardware (ie new system) when I can find the time.

I was getting random BSOD problems - all different drivers and sometime no driver. I also used to get random windows has run out of memory problems that would crap out the system. I increase my system ram to 768MB and have had 3 days of smooth running. I suppose I have just screwed myself now :)

I was getting random BSOD problems - all different drivers and sometime no driver. I also used to get random windows has run out of memory problems that would crap out the system. I increase my system ram to 768MB and have had 3 days of smooth running. I suppose I have just screwed myself now :)

Except for overheating problems I have been running ok since adding more ram. I have problems with virus and other attacks - not get in but Kasperski suffers a bit.

utorrent rules :)

• 2 weeks later...

I posted a while back in this thread about the computer crashing, but I forgot to come back and tell you I found out what really was wrong. Seems it was due to a slowly dying NIC. In the end the computer crashed even when I just attempted to access the local network, so after switching NICs everything is fine again, even uTorrent. So, sorry for blaming it on your software. *blush*

I have been having this computer crash problem too. It only happens when uTorrent is running, but I know that it is not necessarily this program's fault. I disabled automatic restarts so I can give the error message that comes up in the BSOD. Hopefully someone will be able to interpret it and give a suggestion. I have none of the incomptabile software from the FAQ, and the only new software I have is the latest uTorrent update (1.6.xx). No new hardware either. None of the solutions so far from this thread can help either.

--

A problem has been detected etc. etc.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this screen, restart your computer. If you see it again read directions:

Blah, Blah

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x00000050 (0x8c62FECC, 0x00000008, 0x8c62FECC, 0x00000000)

Dumping Physical Memory

--

Please, any help would be great. Thank you!

Archived