uTorrent crashes my whole computer constantly

Ouroboros

Hi I just installed utorrent v3. After the first successful download, all following attempts resulted in BSOD and restart. After searching the forum for solutions, I have already updated the network drivers, tried to download only 1 torrent at a time, uninstalled and re installed Utorrent, erased the files from C:\Users\my user\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent and still the problem persists. Just now it got worse, even with no torrents downloading the BSOD came up and computer restarted. Any solutions? Let me know what more info you need. Thanks

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi, though late, I would like to share my solution to lots of computer crashes I've experienced with uTorrent running in the background.

So here's the deal, and I hope it would help some of you!

Winxp sp3, very low configuration, 256MB of RAM, Intel Pentium 3-866 MHZ.

The machine had crashed only when uTorrent was on with high speed downloads (600-700 KB/s) - That's Bytes and not bits guys, and every time it came back on, an error message was generated telling me that the machine had crashed due to a fatal error, and a dump file had been saved.

I've done so many checkups, RAM testing, lots of uninstall and reinstall of softwares, and drivers.

In order to make the long story short, I won't walk you through the hell and frustration I had experienced, and so, here is the solution that helped me.

I've stumbled upon a very useful tiny and free software called BlueScreenView, and according to its documentation it can compile the info from all of the dump files (dmp extension) and show it using a very friendly GUI, allowing both experts and novices to get some idea and more, about the possible reason/s for the ongoing crashes.

The thing that immediately catched my eyes while I was viewing the report issued by BlueScreenView, was a driver associated with NetLimiter. NetLimiter is a Network Traffic Monitoring tool, that I've been using for years including on my newest machine with WINDOWS 7, and I had never had any problems with it whatsoever.

As it turned out, NetLimiter installs a driver of its own that functions as a wrapper driver on the NIC, so it can manipulate it, to get info about the network usage etc.

That driver kept crashing my system, and I just had no idea.

Anyway I had removed NetLimiter completely from my machine, and it's all going smoothly 24/7 ever since, life's good.

Hope that helps guys

Archived