Updating Utorrent

citygirl

I have Utorrent 3.3.2 installed. I want to update it but I'm just finding out that the updating option within the program is not working. I know I can download the new version from the website but this is not an update its a whole new program version. My question is, do I have to uninstall the older version or can I just run the installer. Being that this is not just an update and it being a new program sometimes when you run the installer of the new program with the older program still installed it will tell you there is an old version. I ran the installer but I quit it because I had to opt out and decline all the bundled software offers. I hate all the useless bloatware that is bundled into software. With some software even after declining all the additional software offers you find out that some of them installed even though your declined the offer. There were so many offers in the new Utorrent software I quit the install because I was afraid I would end up with an install of an unwanted program. Sometimes these tool bars and unwanted software that sneak in aren't always easy to get out either. If someone could shed some light on my question it would b greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry I'm not a beginner but your answer kind of just leaves me hanging. When you download an exe you have to run it. Just putting it in the c drive in the program files where the existing utorren program is isn't going to do a thing. You have to be more specific. I update my other programs all the time but the updater usually works with in the program. Unfortunately the utorrent updating option doesn't . So basically I'm downloading a new program not just an update. Do I uninstall the older version and then run the installer, or do I run the installer and see if it will overwrite?? Some programs you can';t do that. You'll get a message saying there is an older version already installed and you have to uninstall it. In addition to my question The Utorrent exe has all this other bundled software that I call bloatware. I always decline and opt out of these offers. Sometimes with some installs even when you decline the offers you find out afterwards that 1 of the offered programs installed anyway. In some cases when this has occurred they aren't always easy to uninstall. Especially in cases of added tool bar offers. Being that whoever would be replying to my post would have already installed the new utorrent they would know if this would happen and that declining all the offers would be enough.

Please don't get angry with your reply not being enough for me. I'm really grateful to have had any type of a reply good or bad. It's just that you need to give me a direct response and address the main question. Telling me to put it where the old version resides isn't enough. I'm sorry but I just need a bit more. Thank you for your help.

ps. The Help link download is blank.

Just putting it in the c drive in the program files where the existing utorren program is isn't going to do a thing.

Simply download the uTorrent version you want then:

1) Exit uTorrent so that it is not running.

2) Rename your downloaded file to uTorrent.exe.

3) Place it Program Files>uTorrent folder (overwrite if prompted).

4) Launch uTorrent.

If an installation (update) sequence starts, feel free to decline all or any of the offers/freebies/toolbars.

Do I uninstall the older version and then run the installer, or do I run the installer and see if it will overwrite??
Neither

The exe file IS the installer and the installer IS the exe file, They are one and the same thing

Telling me to put it where the old version resides isn't enough
What more can I tell you?

Other than read the user manual on "portable installations"

That is the way I "update" the 3.3.2 and the 3.4.0 installations I run, and how I can "go back" several builds to just to test if or when a "bug" appeared or was fixed.

• 1 month later...
Just putting it in the c drive in the program files where the existing utorren program is isn't going to do a thing.

Simply download the uTorrent version you want then:

1) Exit uTorrent so that it is not running.

2) Rename your downloaded file to uTorrent.exe.

3) Place it Program Files>uTorrent folder (overwrite if prompted).

4) Launch uTorrent.

If an installation (update) sequence starts' date=' feel free to decline all or any of the offers/freebies/toolbars.[/quote']

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this task since I last posted. I do appreciate your help. I'm not a novice I assure you. It's just sometimes Windows does some strange things like not uninstalling an unwanted program. Just sometimes I'll have a strange quirk like that. Your throwing me when you tell me to rename the program and place it in the same file. If the installer is one in the same and will overwrite wouldn't I just have to rune the installer and let it install and overwrite the older version? I've never renamed a program when installing it. I usually don't place a program when installing. I let it install to my C drive with the existing name. Always opting out of all the other bloatware program offers that come with the software. I guess it's just the the casual lingo your using. I'm the kind of user that needs the laymen lingo. Basically it sounds like your telling me to run the installer and let it do it's thing an overwrite. I've run into other programs when updating the program a window would popup and instruct you to uninstall the old version in order to install the new version. I didn't want to go through all that. Like i said there has been a few instances with 3rd party software that windows has pulled some funky things on me. Thanks again. I'll check back sooner for your reply.

Do I uninstall the older version and then run the installer' date=' or do I run the installer and see if it will overwrite?? [/quote']Neither

The exe file IS the installer and the installer IS the exe file, They are one and the same thing

Telling me to put it where the old version resides isn't enough
What more can I tell you?

Other than read the user manual on "portable installations"

That is the way I "update" the 3.3.2 and the 3.4.0 installations I run, and how I can "go back" several builds to just to test if or when a "bug" appeared or was fixed.

I've been so busy I haven't had time to check back and get this task accomplished. Sounds like your just saying to just run the installer and let it overwrite?? Thanks for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...
The new versions will not install in Program Files any more.

New location is: %AppData%\uTorrent

You just need to replace utorrent.exe to update, that's what I do all the time, but portable instead.

I've never really liked to not have everything in one place.

Can you explain in detail how I do this??

Archived