DHT & private trackers

skypilotpete

I mainly use private trackers, all of which insist that DHT be disabled. Very occasionally, I want to download from a public tracker, which requires that DHT be enabled. I am confused as to whether DHT is a setting that is set by the properties of the individual torrents, or whether it is set in general preferences, or both, and how the general preference settings and the individual torrent settings affect each other. For example, if all of my seeding torrents from a private tracker have DHT disabled in their individual properties, is enabling DHT in the general preferences, so that I can download a torrent from a public tracker, going to get me into trouble with my private tracker (which is extremely picky about rules being followed)?

Any help with understanding this will be greatly appreciated.

I mainly use private trackers, all of which insist that DHT be disabled. Very occasionally, I want to download from a public tracker, which requires that DHT be enabled. I am confused as to whether DHT is a setting that is set by the properties of the individual torrents, or whether it is set in general preferences, or both, and how the general preference settings and the individual torrent settings affect each other. For example, if all of my seeding torrents from a private tracker have DHT disabled in their individual properties, is enabling DHT in the general preferences, so that I can download a torrent from a public tracker, going to get me into trouble with my private tracker (which is extremely picky about rules being followed)?

Any help with understanding this will be greatly appreciated.

Since the dawn of DHT (or at least the start of 2006) the 'must disable DHT' hasn't been true. In fact, the whole 'issue' they panic about was true about one build, of one client available for about 6 weeks in late 2005.

Seriously, if they're promoting that line of junk, after 6+ YEARS of it being proven false again and again, you have to wonder, just how clued up on the reality of bitorrent are they, and how are these admits of the 'activity logging tracker' (a more accurate name - 'private tracker' is a really big misnomer)

Seriously, check the 'rules'.

If they have dozens of 'banned clients' (or worse, a 'whitelist') Run

If they tell you you have to disable DHT or be banned, RUN.

If they keep pressuring you to 'donate' or 'buy freeleech' or 'must have a minimum speed', RUN

These are classic signs of sheer incompetence, or just attempting to make money from you. Either way you are at the bottom of the pile and will be hung out to dry as soon as someone comes knocking, with all your info handed over (and that's more info than was presented in both the Jammie Thomas and Joel Tenenbaum cases)

Archived