uTorrent hogging bandwidth

stewydutton

Hi all,

I've been using utorrent for a while now and have no problems with it's download speeds. The problem I have is whenever utorrent is running, my internet browsing grinds (almost) to a halt. I have a 10 m/bit connection but even if I'm only downloading at for example 40kb/s surfing the internet becomes VERY slow indeed.

Anyone got any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Cheers,

stewydutton

Ok if your values are set to 10MBit and that is REALLY your UP loadspeed, than the problem might be because your network equipment has problems handleing the DHT-Traffic that is generated by µtorrent.

Disable DHT in µTorrent and maybe also patch your TCPIP.sys with the lvllord patch for more concurrent connection attemps in XP SP2.

Hi,

I'm glad someone else is having the same problem as me. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Is this a config problem? I have the same problem with BitComet. I tried uTorrent as I thought it might have been a problem with BitComet, but still has exactly the same effect. I have only been using these programs for four days. While running either of these two programs, browsing internet, checking emails, etc is impossible and still impossible when the programs are closed. The only thing you can do to get browsing again is to reboot. The programs work ok and the download speeds are somtimes fast and somtimes slow.

Please help as this is very annoying cause I'm getting it in the ear from the wife because she can't browse while I'm downloading :(. I have opened the port on my router and everything. I have even gone as far as upgrading my ADSL speed with my ISP.

Many thanks in advance

Matt

Patched TCPIP.SYS? If that doesn't help, disabled DHT? If that doesn't help, any incompatible softwares, and what firewall software are you using?

Firon! I beg you to add a dedicated FAQ entry just for this one super-duper-ultra-common issue! xD

shotmillions.

if you have disabled the extra DHT-network and still experience bandwith hogging, then you either have set the wrong values in the speed guide, your ISP throttles your whole line or your network equippment is simply the crappiest around.

µT will not hogging all bandwith if the values are choosen according to your UPloadspeed. µT is a friendly client! ;)

I have the exact same problem. I just signed up to a usenet server and was pissed that it was only downloading at 100-200kb/sec when it was meant to be unlimited (I have a 4mbit line). Soon as I shut down uTorrent, usenet downloads at 400kb/sec. Even when my upload speed is set to half my line (20k). Yet when I run emule which uses even more connections than uTorrent the usenet speed is fine.

I have tried the TCP patch, I've tried disabling DHT. No luck. I'm going to see if the same thing happens in Azerus. I'll report back.

Edit: it didn't happen in Azerus, but the upload only got to around 20kb a sec. Still, even in uTorrent at that upload speed my downloads in usenet/websurfing suffer. And what's even stranger is my torrent speeds aren't all that bad.

How many connections are you allowing it at once and how many is it making?

How many connection-attempts (these are also known as half-open connections) are you letting it make at once?

If you have Win XP SP2, did you patch it so it can handle high connection-attempt (half-open connections) rates?

I've lowered my connections to a small level (less than 100) and even lower. Yet I still have the same problem. It's fine with eMule which I have set to 500 connections (which it uses, I have 100 downloads at once). Azerus works fine, it's just uTorrent.

I've tried disabling encryption, tried the TCP hack, tried everything. The only thing I think it can be is my router. But then why would it work with emule and azerus?

Archived