SOLVED - static IP on DMZ and still getting yellow triangle

smilingahab

SO I had a static IP on my router on DMZ and firewall exceptions for uT, good VPN properly configured, antivirus had uT folder marked as exception... the mat was out and the yellow triangle still glared at me.

I didn't want the firewall completely disabled, so I went through my firewall ruleset and saw that for svchost.exe I had disabled TCP for any other port than 80/443 and completely disabled UDP. I enabled TCP/UDP traffic for the port I assigned for uT for svchost and voila! I had vanquished the dreaded yellow triangle.

So, if you keep your firewall up but have uTorrent as an exception, check to see if you've got svchost blocked. I use Comodo firewall, so I couldn't tell you how to edit the ruleset for any others.

It hasn't fixed any of the other improperly connecting programs (glaring at uplay, gfwl, and Two worlds II [seriously its already on steam what is even up with extra drm]) though.

What has a static IP for the machine designated as DMZ got to do with uTorrent?

good VPN properly configured,
And did/does the VPN allow for port forwarding?
I didn't want the firewall completely disabled,
Why not?? If your machine is behind a NAT router, a software firewall is redundant.
saw that for svchost.exe
uTorrent doesn't run in the context of svchost.exe
I enabled TCP/UDP traffic for the port I assigned for uT for svchost and voila! I had vanquished the dreaded yellow triangle.
So you did exactly what the user manual and the connection guides on this site tell you to do.

Archived