Illegal file downloading

dyslecix

Hi, I got some warnings from my ISP for downloading illegal movies,etc.. And I was wondering whether they can still track my IP if I am downloading the movie if the torrent shows "Stopped" "paused" or "Completed". Or can they only see my ip if I am actually downloading the file? if it is stopped halfway through, can they still see my IP while it is stopped? Thanks.

Your ISP provides your router with it's IP so of course they 'know' what your IP is no matter what state your BitTorrent client is in.

Now, if your question really means "Can my ISP tell if I have copyright material available and loaded in my BitTorrent client" the answer is:

That depends on how they are tracking your activities.

If your client has "announced" that it has a copy of a particular job as identified by it's info hash, ... .... Yes, your IP at that point in time will have been available to anyone monitoring that particular job and will have been recorded. And even if your dynamic IP has changed in the interim period. the ISP DHCP logs can be used to identify the account that was assigned that IP at the time in question.

• 2 weeks later...
I mean the companies that check for piracy and send this message to your ISP. Can these companies see my IP even if the download is 'stopped' or 'paused' or 'completed' in the torrent lists, or whichever way they try to find the pirates ip's.

When it's 'stopped' (which is what completed is) then you're no longer active in the swarm. You might still be listed on the tracker, but that's irrelevant.

They used to try using just tracker announces as evidence, but decent trackers now add random IP's into the peer data it sends, making them very unreliable, and any competent lawyer would make short work of that 'evidence' (to the point there would be sanctions and costs for bringing the suit/complaint)

However, they can just log info on the swarm (and most download from peers) very easily, and they have years to file a claim. Thus it's harder to deal with, but still possible (I'm working on some such cases right now) Here's a video showing how they do it.

That should help you understand a bit more, right?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I got some warnings from my ISP for downloading illegal movies,etc.. And I was wondering whether they can still track my IP if I am downloading the movie if the torrent shows "Stopped" "paused" or "Completed". Or can they only see my ip if I am actually downloading the file? if it is stopped halfway through, can they still see my IP while it is stopped? Thanks.

Well for one thing was the reporting company that contact your ISP a legal company to start with first? Look at the paper mail or email they sent you and see if that is a legal company. There have been counter suite about those shady companies and they have come under fire and some have been forced closed because of their under hand tactics.

Hi' date=' I got some warnings from my ISP for downloading illegal movies,etc.. And I was wondering whether they can still track my IP if I am downloading the movie if the torrent shows "Stopped" "paused" or "Completed". Or can they only see my ip if I am actually downloading the file? if it is stopped halfway through, can they still see my IP while it is stopped? Thanks.[/quote']

Well for one thing was the reporting company that contact your ISP a legal company to start with first? Look at the paper mail or email they sent you and see if that is a legal company. There have been counter suite about those shady companies and they have come under fire and some have been forced closed because of their under hand tactics.

No, just no. Please, if you don't know what you're talking about then don't go offering advice. It doesn't help anyone.

BTW, I'm testifying in one of those civil cases next week (second hearing) so I know exactly how complex they are.

Hi' date=' I got some warnings from my ISP for downloading illegal movies,etc.. And I was wondering whether they can still track my IP if I am downloading the movie if the torrent shows "Stopped" "paused" or "Completed". Or can they only see my ip if I am actually downloading the file? if it is stopped halfway through, can they still see my IP while it is stopped? Thanks.[/quote']

No, just no. Please, if you don't know what you're talking about then don't go offering advice. It doesn't help anyone.

BTW, I'm testifying in one of those civil cases next week (second hearing) so I know exactly how complex they are.

There have been false DCMA takedown and for one to say this doesn't happen is hard to believe. IMO

No' date=' just no. Please, if you don't know what you're talking about then don't go offering advice. It doesn't help anyone.

BTW, I'm testifying in one of those civil cases next week (second hearing) so I know exactly how complex they are.[/quote']

There have been false DCMA takedown and for one to say this doesn't happen is hard to believe. IMO

I know all about them.

That's not what you talked about. What you talked about in post 6, and then in post 8 are two very different things.

Archived