3.4.x Beta

AdamK

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bittorrent Inc.. What the actual F*** is this...? This is from the beta directly off your site!

xCxL2of.png

Just double checked it, wow. just wow. DO NOT INSTALL 40414. Things just go from bad to worse for you guys huh?
No issues with previous beta builds.

Bittorrent Inc.. What the actual F*** is this...? This is from the beta directly off your site!

xCxL2of.png

Just double checked it, wow. just wow. DO NOT INSTALL THIS.

I've just downloaded 3.4.3.40414 and sent it to VirusTotal, where it came up clean...well, as clean as prior versions.  Link here.  You might want to run a hash on your version to make sure it matches the one in the URL.

I've just downloaded 3.4.3.40414 and sent it to VirusTotal, where it came up clean...well, as clean as prior versions.  Link here.  You might want to run a hash on your version to make sure it matches the one in the URL.

Redownloaded again, hash matches the offending download exactly. Both signed by Bittorrent Inc.

Maybe it's a false positive?

No problems here. AVG found it clean.

Then why does a folder get created called 40414 with a file called uTorrentie... :rolleyes:   Last time I checked this program was called uTorrent  :blink: 

Maybe the file doesn't contain a trojan but at the end of the day it's still as suspicious as the next guy you see in a trench coat and sunglasses.

xCxL2of.png

Just double checked it, wow. just wow. DO NOT INSTALL 40414. Things just go from bad to worse for you guys huh?

Been silent for a while but I'll jump in on this one.  Thank you for calling that out, we'll look into it.  I assure you this is *not* a virus and we have not added anything to the product that would even approach being worthy of this warning.  Specifically we have *not* added any 3rd party anything, anywhere.  This utorrentie is part of our attempt in this beta to split the embedded IE frames we use in the product, out into separate processes.  IE frames have been the biggest source of crashes and issues in the product, and with this change we are preventing IE from crashing the whole product when it crashes all on its own and outside of our control.  It's a good change and we will freak out appropriately over that warning until we figure out how to make sure it doesn't happen.

Again, thanks -- this report is a big help.

Been silent for a while but I'll jump in on this one. 

Again, thanks -- this report is a big help.

Personally I think it would be a big help if you guys had an actual presence on the forum. It does look like more attention is paid on the other side..

Anyway, false positives and strange naming conventions aside you guys have some coding and communcations logistics to work through.

xCxL2of.png

So far Kaspershy Internet Security 15.0.2.361(a) isn't having a problem with this beta build.

Qihoo 360's QVM engine (which is used in 360 Total Security and 360 Internet Security) is notorious for high false positive rates. Its Bitdefender and Avira engines are solid, but unfortunately the massively inferior QVM engine (which is designed by Qihoo themselves) is horrid and cannot be disabled.

The "HEUR/QVM..." is an indication that its the QVM engine that is (falsely) detecting it as malware with its extremely horrid heuristic engine that rarely detects actual malware - I've only seen QVM's heuristics engine detect legit Win32 PE binaries as malware or test samples. Only its Avira and Bitdefender engines seem to detect new 0day malware via heuristics.

I've seen the QVM engine detect all sorts of things falsely. It once detected WinDbg (Microsoft) and ProcMon (SysInternals/Microsoft) as malware for me. I hope Qihoo allows users to disable the QVM engine and just use the Bitdefender and Avira engines in the future.

It probably detected utorrentie.exe as malware because of a pattern of APIs it uses in regard to the IEFrame window control.

@devs: the latest beta build 40414 (MBC = multi bug collection) includes that bugs too:

http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/88607-34x-stable/?p=506294

http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/88339-34x-beta/?p=506438

and additional that one:

http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/88607-34x-stable/?p=507221

And the "betaie" running in the updates folder too:

utorrent-3.4.3.betaie.exe with some 300kB size.

Archived