3.4.x Beta

AdamK

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I've seen this build/changelog...

Could just sum up 3.4.x entirely with this line alone.

Not sure if this client is slowly getting better or it's just forced my expected standards to drop. Basically it's about where I expected 3.3.3 to have been a year ago.

As much as I want it to not be complete crap, I also kind of want it to die and it shall at the rate it's going, pretty tired with of the serious lack of effort put into this client.

I'd like to see some real dev work not just f*cking coasting off of profits, this feeling almost makes me want to uninstall it by my morals alone. Guess it's just a matter of time.

-- 2014-10-15: Version 3.4.2 Beta (build 34904)

Build update the previous beta 34810

- Bug fixes

-- 2014-10-13: Version 3.4.2 Beta (build 34810)

Build update the previous beta 34548

- Crash fix

- Attempt to find a 64-bit VLC installation if search for 32-bit fails

- Support switching files and ff/rw while streaming

1: Why do devs update the changelog for 34810?

2: Why is on the "official" changelog the date 2014-10-02? The date above is my correction ....

3: Relevance is still broken in build 34904.

Do you get this ad with Hosts file entries? I do not get this ad

Yes! My hosts contain all entries that you and others have suggested. They will stay there forever.

Is it possibly a localised thing - I'm in the UK.

I'm currently using a revised settings.dat to block this " beta testers" menace.

What get's me is that "uTorrent" is overriding default settings to make it look like I - * - changed them.

Do you install or just replace .exe with newer version?...I'm trying to figure why you're getting this and previous unwanted behaviors while I'm not.

I get VERY SLOOOW startup time with 34810/904. Also it is not responsive during part of this time. 34727 is OK. Do you see this too?

Slight slower but not to the point of unresponsiveness...maybe because of extra crap that has to load.

Do you install or just replace .exe with newer version?...I'm trying to figure why you're getting this and previous unwanted behaviors while I'm not.

I simply replace the .exe like I've been doing for what seems like yonks now.

Edit - even installing doesn't help.

This is being put in the offers.404_url setting:

http://utclient.utorrent.com/offers/beta-testers/i18n/en/index.html

What happens if you used an empty or a very old settings.dat that doesn't include all those 404.offers settings?

My edited Advanced setting..
ss79je9.jpg

My edited Hidden setting..

8UyiZz9.jpg

My HOSTS file entries (read only)...

# [utorrent]
0.0.0.0 bundles.bittorrent.com beta.bundles.bittorrent.com cdn.ap.bittorrent.com services.bunndle.com offers.bittorrent.com ads.bittorrent.com apps.bittorrent.com
0.0.0.0 67.215.246.203 111.119.15.32 111.119.15.31 82.221.103.246 82.221.103.245 67.215.246.204

What happens if you used an empty or a very old settings.dat that doesn't include all those 404.offers settings?

I tried with empty settings (and previously when similar things happened) which didn't make any difference.

I also tried settings as your images (most were the same anyway) - that didn't make any difference.

I tried using 3.3.2 settings.dat - all offers.404 entries are written back.

Deleting entries via BEncode Edtor sees them all back when uTorrent is launched.

Hence post #1359 - using a revised settings.dat I created 1st October which is holding out.

Hmmm!...I can't duplicate your problem here...

I started with a blank settings.dat and reconfigured to my liking and no ads or crap anywhere!

A while back, I tried rafi's settings when this Sync was being pushed on us via uTorrent (you might have seen the video - his settings made no difference to me).

If you wish, send me a link to your reconfigured blank settings.dat and I'll try them here (remove any personal folder details).

Getting closer....

I've finally duplicated your beta tester ad..

The only way I was able to duplicate was when I right clicked Hide/Show utorrent in notification area.

jkuYcSn.jpg

Further investigation adding a random working url in offers.url  advanced setting and you will be able browse that page within utorrent...

I'm starting to think this could be very unsecure that we are able to surf the web within utorrent!

aWmuXrK.jpg

really, really, that is the advertisment they show for you ?

Unfortunately Yes!

N7uFTsk.jpg

This is where Bitorrent Inc's. path has been driving towards for  awhile now...

They claim ads generates revenue (subliminally with sex) to keep their employees lights on and feeds their families.

They do this because they know they have been the top torrent client (popular) for many years and are taking advantage while they can!

The ratio of utorrent/bitorrent users who really care and the ones that don't are almost non existent to Bitorrent Inc.

Can some one explain what is the need for the hosts entries ?

I've seen it alot in the forum but i never quite understood the need for it ...

When you run uTorrent, it connects to various URLs to fetch Ads and Offers, which will show within the interface.

Adding these URLs to the hosts file disables them ever (hopefully) reaching you through uTorrent.

Archived