3.4.x Beta

AdamK

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This same Display bug happens in 40265 (See attached capture).

Happens whenever gui.Tall_Category_list is set to false.

Verified on multiple machines.

post-295143-0-38980700-1430494002_thumb.

So it seems that uTorrent is still not telling Windows to stop caching file reads/writes. Can someone please explain why we keep hearing the vague "Windows' cache stupidity" excuse when there are clear instructions on how to prevent this issue on the MSDN pages? This is just as bad as the tracker admins' goto reason for blacklisting torrent clients. It's getting really annoying to restart uTorrent every time a large torrent has finished downloading. I don't have a lot of memory because I really don't need it. But every time this happens, my computer slows to a crawl, especially if I'm doing some work on a virtual machine at the same time.

Another thing, when I add a torrent that I've downloaded before and don't uncheck the "Start torrent" option in the dialog (so it automatically starts hash checking), I see thousands of CreateFile calls. In fact, there's one call for every piece of the torrent. A forced recheck from the context menu does not behave like that. Here's a Process Monitor screenshot:

post-368258-0-92553300-1430775370_thumb.

Hi, can some tell me what going on? uTorrent constantly crashes cause windows ran out of memory, but it doesn't. I have 4 out of 8 GB FREE. I dont understand this...

E: i dont have ZA or NAM or anything out of the ordinary. Its the same system i have for about 2 years and its running perfectly fine.

Hi, can some tell me what going on? uTorrent constantly crashes cause windows ran out of memory, but it doesn't. I have 4 out of 8 GB FREE. I dont understand this...

It must be just because of the 32bit limitations since µtorrent is a 32bit application.

EDIT:  Each times I seen µtorrent taking that much memory it was because the cache size was set too high tho.  If you got yours set to 1024MB or higher try to reduce it there is no point to have it any higher than that, I personally set mine to 512MB.

Windows does not need to run out of memory, a program in itself have a limit of ram it can use from the system per process.  And 32bit programs have a smaller limit than what a 64bit program can use on Windows systems.

User-mode virtual address space for each 32-bit process

2 GB with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE cleared (default)

4 GB with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE set

User-mode virtual address space for each 64-bit process

With IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE set (default):

x64:  8 TB

Intel Itanium-based systems:  7 TB

Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2:  128 TB

2 GB with IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE cleared

Source:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

As for the cache size I don't know if you got an idea what I was meaning but I have taken a screenshot where you can find it in µtorrent Preferences just in case.  Note I'm not saying thats what cause your µtorrent process to take all the ram limit it can use, just that its worth to take a look.

Here it is:

VgCKbPv.png

Its not enabled. But would it make sense to disable all advanced caching options? FTR, for me, which is default afaik as i dont remember ever having done modification there, the first (override...) and last (increase...) is unchecked.

Its not enabled. But would it make sense to disable all advanced caching options? FTR, for me, which is default afaik as i dont remember ever having done modification there, the first (override...) and last (increase...) is unchecked.

Disabling it all will increase the chances of getting Disk Overload issues, so in other word you will download slower.

No, but i'll try. I was about to try without the advanced. Did you set it like this because of the same issue?

I've also tried an older build from rafi's log, but the only one that worked, i guess redirected to the latest beta, so im running 40265 now. I cant get older version from here, the official site? Googling just points to some websites i have no idea about its credibility.

Im doing now (back on the last supposedly stable version 40208). Ticked of every single one and its fine for the last 2hrs, but that doesn't necessarily man anything. It can run for a day fine, and i also rebooted my pc. Speed is great though, or at least teh max i can get anyway (10mbs)

E: Ok, 40 min later - crash...

Well according to duytrung from that other thread you pointed on post #1787 up here it seems he fixed it by downgrading to version 3.4.2 Build 38707.  I'm guessing your only solution for now would be to revert back to version 3.4.2 Build 38707 or to an alternative that works for you and wait for a new µtorrent version to test if they fixed the bug and revert back to whats working until they finally get to fix this issue.  Because I can see a crashing problem like this to be quite troublesome, I mean if everytime you going to download/seed large torrents at very fast speeds it goes on and crash.  Not very pleasant to deal with, I can feel your pain. :wacko:

I dont have build 38707 in there, but a few even older ones. I've tried 37754 from a sporadic back up i made, which should be working, but doesnt. That supports the claims from the developers that this isnt a utorrent issue, and apparently, there are only very few that seems to have this issue, which means its not really a concern for them. My only idea is to make a memory check, but then again, i dont have problems otherwise. If that doesnt bring any positivity, i guess i'll have to reorganize my library. I already have qbit and deluge installed but they dont quite offer the things utorrent does. So that sucks.

However, thx for the replies. Cheers

3.4.3.40329 now available:

-- 2015-05-08: Version 3.4.3 Beta (build 40329)
- All fixes from the latest stable (40208)
- Bug fix for beta 40265
- New installer test

-- 2015-05-08: Version 3.4.3 Beta (build 40324) [Download link invalid]
- All fixes from the latest stable (40298)
- 2015-05-04 - Change the way windows magnet and torrent shell handlers are registered
- 2015-04-10 - [Pro] Show "confirmation page" instead of "bundles" page after upgrading to Pro
- 2015-04-10 - [Pro] Pause playing file via hitting SpaceBar
- 2015-04-10 - Fix broken status bar spacing
- 2015-03-30 - Fix crash when update server unreachable
- 2015-03-27 - Fix transcoder error log string
- 2015-03-27 - Fix bug when initializing IPv6 WebUI listening socket

Archived