3.4.x Beta

AdamK

That is one hell of an ugly upgrade banner you've included. Definitely NOT an improvement. YUK! Gone back to previous version.

2015.07.10_06h54m39s_001_zpswoq89pj1.jpg

Mine's a lot shorter, did you remove the search bar?

And I agree.. this doesn't need to be there, orange or not. Do a splash screen after install asking to upgrade to Pro or something if you must.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, the search box is still to the right of it. (Maybe it looks longer due to me having laptop screen width of 1280px).

There seems to be a strange ">>" button at the left. Have you tried using it?...

On second thought, this button is there when your main view is very narrow... try to stretch-expand the main view to the right . Maybe your dual monitors or 1280p resolution are "confusing" it...

There seems to be a strange ">>" button at the left. Have you tried using it?...

On second thought, this button is there when your main view is very narrow... try to stretch-expand the main view to the right . Maybe your dual monitors or 1280p resolution are "confusing" it...

The button does nothing when clicking it. I don't have dual monitors. uTorrent's interface only (manuall) expands to the right just a few pixels wider than my screen (slightly bigger than maximised) but it does nothing for that upgrade banner anyway.

Mine's a lot shorter, did you remove the search bar?

And I agree.. this doesn't need to be there, orange or not. Do a splash screen after install asking to upgrade to Pro or something if you must.

3.4.4.40733 now available with bright orange upgrade banner included:

-- 2015-07-09: Version 3.4.4 Beta (build 40733)

- All fixes from the latest stable (40633)

- UI fixes and improvements

- improved logging for better debugging

- connection handling improvements

- crash fix

That is one hell of an ugly upgrade banner you've included. Definitely NOT an improvement. YUK! Gone back to previous version.

2015.07.10_06h54m39s_001_zpswoq89pj1.jpg

To be clear, this is definitely not the intended appearance of that button.  There are clearly a few problems there.  Good to catch this in beta, we'll fix.

If it's marked as 3.4.3 beta and 3.4.3 is final then I don't see it as an issue.

By the looks of it that page would be updated fairly promptly anyway with a new beta build with the next version number.

Might be a pain for them to have to pull down the beta link every time they release just to put a new one up some days later but it certainly wouldn't hurt to do so..

especially if a decent beta build is weeks away from being released after a "stable" release.

Good to see some sanity restored to the release schedule. Now you just gotta fix the reputation, that's not going to be easy, utorrent/bitorrent now has a fairly bad rap.

Would certainly help if development was a lot more active and actually had some sort of community communication as like.. just about every other torrent client.

Plenty of warnings from people in the forum that were not listened to.. you went the corporate route and paid the price. Let's see if you guys can improve in that area.

Thanks for that -- yes temporarily we had a beta posted which was older than the stable.  That changed yesterday.  We typically don't take that link down, because getting people on the beta track is always helpful.  Beta users will all get updated to the next version when it's released.

No dispute on the price paid for decisions made.  I wouldn't say we "went the corporate route", but there have clearly been consequences from some of the decisions made in trying to keep this product free and good.  We're trying to undo that.

• 2 weeks later...

*Note: At time of posting, link currently points to 3.4.4.40733 version*

3.4.3.40785 now available:

-- 2015-07-19: Version 3.4.3 Beta (build 40785)
- only unpack remote ie process once per session
- fixed several inter process communication issues between utorrent and utorrentie
- crash fix

A beta when there is already a stable? Strange. Probably a typo... and should be 3.4.4

A wonder what happened to the promised/new 3.4.4.x scheme...

Yes believe it or not, our plan starting with the upcoming beta is to increment the tiny version number for every single beta.  Sometimes it takes a while to get there, but we did hear you in the last round and we'll be doing it now.  We'll also be releasing fewer betas and avoid having multiple betas out with separate changes in them.  

Sorry guys, this was the "second beta" I mentioned earlier, for the "utorrentie" version you have noticed.  It's a long-running project and it looks like the person who posted the beta screwed up the new process.  Also that link was a mistake -- this is an updates-only beta, there's no new install link.  I just removed that.  

No harm done, but sorry for the annoyance.  This is already out so I'll let this 3.4.3 beta remain, but it was intended that this line be 3.4.5 and future betas for this line will keep that until we merge it into stable.

Just so there are no surprises -- I'll be posting an update to the 3.4.4 line today.  As promised that's just bug fixes to the 3.4.4 line (e.g. the orange button), no feature thrashing as previously seen in the mixed betas.  This 3.4.4 is likely to go into stable soon, at which time stable will be 3.4.4.

*Note: At time of posting, link currently points to 3.4.4.40733 version*

3.4.3.40785 now available:

-- 2015-07-19: Version 3.4.3 Beta (build 40785)
- only unpack remote ie process once per session
- fixed several inter process communication issues between utorrent and utorrentie
- crash fix

A beta when there is already a stable? Strange. Probably a typo... and should be 3.4.4

A wonder what happened to the promised/new 3.4.4.x scheme...

Yeah definitely a typo. Would be nice if the link actually worked to the advertised version.

Same old problems...

Sorry guys, this was the "second beta" I mentioned earlier, for the "utorrentie" version you have noticed.  It's a long-running project and it looks like the person who posted the beta screwed up the new process.  Also that link was a mistake -- this is an updates-only beta, there's no new install link.  I just removed that. 

3.4.5 is obviously set to tackle the problem's I reported earlier.

https://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-flagged-as-harmful-by-antivirus-companies-and-google-150721/

3.4.5 is obviously set to tackle the problem's I reported earlier.

https://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-flagged-as-harmful-by-antivirus-companies-and-google-150721/

No, unrelated.  The utorrentie (3.4.5) branch is for stability, to get our integration with Internet Explorer kicked into separate processes.  That Windows code is by far the biggest cause of crashes in the client, this will make that a non-issue.

We're also working to address the flagging issue.

Archived