uTorrent freezes computer + bandwidth spike

LawLiner

It's a problem that's plagued every computer I've installed uTorrent on over the years. It's by far my preferred client so I really would like to stay with it. But I've got a brand new machine and don't want this issue potentially damaging my machine.

The Problem:

Only when running UT, my computer will freeze for ~4 seconds (and gradually gets longer over time). When I say freezes, it becomes completely unresponsive. Whilst audio is playing, it'll just rapidly stutter throughout the freeze.

Something I've just noticed today, directly after each freeze, UT's downstream bandiwdth consumption will leap to my maximum bandwidth (which is 1.1mb/s) for a few seconds. My settings restrict downstream to 500kb/s.

Any suggestions? I've had this issue on multiple machines, it can't be just me!

Many thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe it is due to hardware lock ups. But this is a problem that occurs on all the many different systems I have tried from laptops to desktops. I guess that would suggest there may be some sort of conflict with some of the standard software I always install on all my machines.

I checked the logs, nothing to report when the freezes happen.

There seems to be a lot of other people with similar problems around the forums. Guess I'll try another client. Any suggestions?

Have you adjusted any settings in uTorrent or are they all set at defaults?

What operating system are you using?

Have you opened Task Manager while it is freezing to look at performance? Are your memory or hard drive being maxed out?

Check your event logs (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/open-event-viewer#1TC=windows-7) to see if any errors are showing up.

**Edit** What antivirus/security are you using and what exactly are you downloading (audio, video, software)? Also, what is the "standard software" you install on all of your machines?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the reply, it's been a while and I've still got the problem.  Get's a little frustrating.

This issue is definitely related to uTorrent, and I don't seem to be alone with this problem.

uTorrent settings are factory

Using Windows 7 64bit, but I've had the same issue previously on XP systems

Have you opened Task Manager while it is freezing to look at performance? Are your memory or hard drive being maxed out?

Yes, I've attached some images highlighting when the freeze happens, it only seems to affect CPU.  Can't see anything in Event errors, see attached.

What antivirus/security are you using and what exactly are you downloading (audio, video, software)? Also, what is the "standard software" you install on all of your machines? 

Using Microsoft Security Essentials, but I've had the same problem whilst using Comodo and Zonealarm, all on different systems.

Usually downloading videos or music, but it happens regardless of what I'm downloading.

Standard software I normally install is Netlimiter 3 (which I had a suspicison about so I killed the process.  No luck), Dropbox, Drive, Firefox, Katmouse, Networx, Realtemp, 

A little further information, when I'm having the issue, if I close uTorrent my computer still stalls at least once, even though it is closed.  Although it's a lot less intense.  After that my computer returns to normal.

Also, I did notice whilst hovering over a spike in the process explorer the text 'interrupts - Hardware Interrupts and DPCs', not sure if this is relevant.

Thanks

IGj2LEG.png

CY0p9GI.png

eoJC33B.png

9drWRRu.png

6n1lsCi.png

Ok, taking a closer look at process explorer, when I hover over the CPU spike it seems to be 'System:4' that is spiking it.  A closer look at this process performance graph and it's definitely this.  

But I'm not sure what System:4 (System process (PID 4)) actually does.  After a quick Google, someone her experiencing the exact same symptoms as me, related to System:4:

http://www.sysopt.com/showthread.php?159125-System-4-Anyone-know-what-this-process-is

There's some more information and a detailed post on it here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/04/07/3031251.aspx

But this is beyond me really.  I feel as though it's a driver issue, but then again that contradicts the fact I've had the same issue on all sorts of computers and different setups.  

• 2 weeks later...

And here's the culprit:

1rzfXXD.png

ndis.sys!NetDmaAllocateChannel+0x440

After Googling, there seems to be others having the same issue, and it seems to relate to my Wireless card, which is the Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter.  Now looking for some driver updates...

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Or so it seems for now anyway.  Been an hour with no issues whilst running uTorrent. 

The fix was one of two things, unfortuantely I don't know which one.

It's either the updated driver I downloaded from http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=60&system=5

Or it's the fact I stopped the Netlimiter 3 service, which was the other thread in the image above

• 10 months later...

Just to clarify the problem here, it was indeed Net Limiter 3.
Why? I have no idea, but i stopped the service using an elevated command promp and writing:
net stop "NetLimiter 3 service"

and the freezing ceased, it was annoying, and it's ironic that i can't control uTorrent dl speed while using my PC, but whatever... at least i can use it...

Thanks for your investigation!

Archived