Download Stops, hangs, only fix is to restart.

pir8skin

When adding a new torrent either manually or from RSS, utorrent will start to download the files (in the mbits, with plenty of availability) before slowing down gradually and then stopping all together. When this happens, and I open task manager, I can see that utorrent is using a lot of memory. In fact, most times when I exit out of utorrent it still remains running in the background, and I have to end the process in task manager.

It should be noted that this does not occur with every torrent I download, and seems to happen when adding torrents with a large file size and lots of peers. Also worth mentioning, is that I am seeding over 300 torrents at once...

P.S. this person seems to be having the same problem

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=138946

*Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

*uTorrent version 3.3.2 Build 30303

*ISP Comcast

*NOD32 version 6.0.316.0 (With utorrent.exe marked as an excluded app under protocol filtering)

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem. When I start to download a torrent, everything works fine. It's is downloaded with speed 5-10MB/s like usually. But after a few seconds/minutes the speed is slowing down to less than 1KB/s. At the same time the memory usage of the process is growing up above 200MB and the OS (windows 7 64 bit) is not responding. The led controller of the HDD is continually active - not blinking. When I quit the program, it seems to be closed, but it is still in the list of processes in task manager - the memory usage is unchanged. Killing the process has no effect. Restaring the system is not possible, too. The shutdown process locks on the "Shutting down" screen, the hdd-led is still active.  

I've tried to solve the problem in safe mode, but it was the same. 

Just registered to say that I'm having exactly the same problem. With larger torrents. Download speed slows down, and when I exit µtorrent it is still open in the task manager taking almost all my memory and lagging everything.
Windows 7 64-bit here also.

same here windows 7

Utorrent 3.3.2 last build and latest build

external harddrive WD and Iomega as well is my internal are all effected

Road Runner/Time Warner ISP

I Lose speed, then it will not respond when I close, sometimes. Most of the time it just closes but then wont reopen, as it is still active in process hogging memory, close process then restart, it works fine then slows then locks and rinse and repeat.

Also Avast is picking up malware past 2 days when starting utorrent-inspsearch-comfavicon-ico coming up as malware. May be false postive as the problems with Utorrent predate warnning.

THis thread is now 23 days old please help us. 

When adding a new torrent either manually or from RSS, utorrent will start to download the files (in the mbits, with plenty of availability) before slowing down gradually and then stopping all together. When this happens, and I open task manager, I can see that utorrent is using a lot of memory. In fact, most times when I exit out of utorrent it still remains running in the background, and I have to end the process in task manager.

i have the same issue, no matter the file size.  no matter how many torrents i am seeding.  no matter how namy peers are connected.

i start a torrent (or as the case is now, many torrents-as none of them do anything of significance before completely stopping...) and after a few moments have passed, i find that uttorent is not working.

i can close utorrent, but the process hangs and has to be killed in the task manager.  this cycle continues...

Windows XP Pro

uTorrent 3.3.2

Same issue. happens at around 30-50%. Files are around 300-500MB seeders/leechers are in the hundreds. Memory usage is always high however my OS doesnt hang

Running utorrent 3.2.2
Memory usage is at 200 MB and I have 16 GB of RAM

Seems that by allocating higher disk cache this problem dissapears.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a very similar problem.  uTorrent 3.3.2 on Windows XP Pro fully updated, downloads torrents just fine for a while, then at some point it slows down to nothing, then starts trying to download the others, until the entire list says Downloading, but nothing is happening.  The only solution I've found so far is to shut down uTorrent and start it up again, then it downloads just fine for a while.  Sometimes it takes a long time to shut it down, it just hangs around in the process list.  Until I kill it, with a process killer, that aggressively kills processes like on linux.  I don't know why it's chewing up memory and hanging.  Maybe the problem is with disk caching.

Is there a way to remotely restart uTorrent?  I mean, other than logging onto the computer with a remote desktop connection.

Archived