Problem with torrents client

jimmo

I began having problems with my µTorrent client earlier today. I had a mixture of downloading and seeding files, actually most of them seeding, about 28 total. I thought I had changed the settings in Options menu to 28 total files, 23 maximum downloading.

First, all the torrents had a red arrow next to them, which I looked up and found meant a "tracker error," whatever that means.Sometimes, when I have had problems before with my client, by pausing, stopping and force re-checking a torrent file this solves the problem. But this did not resolve the problem this time. So I stopped and then removed all the torrent files, uninstalled the client from my hard drive's control panel, and installed a new client (actually another, earlier version of µTorrent approved by the file-sharing tracker site to which I belong). Even after the new installation, the same issue with the red arrows was present, plus a new issue of the time-lapsed times starting from scratch, for which I am afraid my file-sharing tracker site may penalize me, for not having seeded long enough, etc.

I tried force re-checking again, which seemed to work for a while. But then a red icon with an exclamation point appeared at the bottom of the client box. When I hover over that icon, a message reads "Not connectable. A firewall/router is limiting your network traffic. You need to open up a port so others may connect to you." I have no idea what this means or how to do what this message says. I have never had this issue before, have never had to open a port or firewall, all settings automatically set. Is this because I installed an even earlier version of µTorrent than the earlier one I had already been using? Usually I have had to do very little with my torrents client, which is good as I know little about how it operates.

One other question--is there an absolute limit of torrents one may have in one's client list at one time, as well how many torrents downloading within said limit? And if the answer to that question is relative to one's particular Internet Service Provider situation, how does one tell one's total torrents' and downloading limits? Is there some method of detecting one's limits?

May someone please send me some very easy-to-understand directions for how to fix these problems, with no assumptions I know any of the lingo more experienced torrents users know? I work best when reading instructions from a numbered list, as in (1) Do this, (2) Next do this, (3) Then do this.

Thank you :).

That screen shot you sent me was useful--thank you. I see what you mean by "trackers tab." And I did check that in the previous client before I uninstalled it. I meant to take a screen shot of that before I uninstalled, as I seem to recall it is not possible to copy & paste from a client view (any image of a client, irrespective of what version).

Actually, in this version of the client I have installed now, there is no trackers tab, but a trackers section within the "General" tab. The only thing I see there that looks askew is next to "Tracker Status," where it reads "DHT not allowed," whatever that means. Other than that, the info. is the Tracker URL address and the "Tracker status" which reads "working."

But I definitely recall the version I uninstalled did have a trackers tab. And I did see a message there, because I checked. Now I know what you mean. Unfortunately, since I uninstalled that version (which I preferred to this new one), I now don't have access to that message.

Should I uninstall the current version and reload my torrents back into that previous version so I may report back to you what the message in that trackers tab reads?

I also understand what you are saying that it is a "red flag" or negative aspect of this trackers site that they require me to use certain versions of torrents clients. But, evidently, according to how their system operates (however it operates?), that is the only way they may monitor whether members are properly seeding (sharing back) with other members and other downloading/uploading activity a member is having on their site. It is their rules, and I would not be able to obtain or upload files if I don't use one of the programs they suggest. And it's not as if the clients they suggest are very limited, as they have a long list of several "approved" clients from which to choose. But the one which I read is recommended is µTorrent.

And actually, though this was not the case when I joined this trackers' site, last time I checked I think they even approve the latest version of µTorrent (or pretty near it). It's just I have read the older versions of clients are simpler to use, and until now have been able to use the version I have had for two years with very few complications, so I stuck with that with which I was most familiar. But perhaps it is my use of the older version that has caused this problem. If that is the case, then I would consider installing a newer one, anything so long as I may get a client working with this trackers site again.

I have belonged to this trackers site (which is comprised of fans of classic television) for two years with relatively little trouble until this situation. But I do know the past few months there have been periods when the site was offline for a day or two due to (a moderator told me) a DDOS attack. I looked up that acronym and it seems to be a mysterious sabotage situation, which I suspect could be instigated from any number of sources, from disgruntled ex-members of the site to government entities trying to stop file-sharing, The thing about them is they are anonymous strikes. I don't know enough about this issue to know how my trackers site got back online again. But all has been status quo until I experienced this situation today. It could be my situation is nothing to do with that DDOS issue, just something I did incorrectly, or for some other reason. Maybe you can offer some guidance?

I actually tried a system restoration that had worked for me when I had a problem once before with my torrents client. But when I tried that today I received a message stating there was no restore point. Evidently something reverted to a default situation, and the system restore box was unchecked (or checked, if it wasn't supposed to be). The point being, I was unable to return to an earlier time when the torrents client was working for me.

I see your motto message that "I never claimed to be nice." But, just because you never claimed to be something doesn't mean you may still not be. So I am asking you to please be polite, if not actually "nice," as I have enough problems (mostly of a physical health nature) as is, without having to endure attitudes from anyone. I always try to be polite with others (and sometimes even friendly), so long as they are with me. It actually saves energy to avoid conflicts, most of which are unnecessary or based on miscommunication, in my experience. Of course, these days, with so many LOLing, it is certainly easier to miscommunicate than ever before.

I wish there was a course one could take about how to use torrents clients and torrenting in general, a real classroom course with an on-site instructor who could observe when a user is making mistakes and be there to correct errors and answer questions. Each person may have a different learning curve, and some of us don't operate as well from self-help and even online support as we would if in-person help were offered. Do you know of, or have you ever heard of any torrenting courses? Actually, I am also interested in video software learning too, if such things are available.

Jim

Hi "DreadWingKnight":

Nothing happens when I right-click on any of the tabs.

Should I, then, uninstall this version of the client and reinstall the one I had to begin with? At least that version had a trackers tab already. And I really do recall seeing some sort of negative message there, something out of the ordinary. So that must be what you need to help me resolve this.

But if I do uninstall this version and reinstall the previous one I had (which is a newer version), how should I go about closing this one down so the data may be brought into the new installation without losing it for the trackers site?

Jim

Hi "DreadWingKnight":

If this is because you may not help those who are using other than the very latest version of uTorrent, please remember I had told you this trackers site to which I belong had only approved certain versions of certain torrents clients that would work on their system, so they could, evidently, monitor our interactions in leeching and seeding activities. I was as much as told this by a uTorrent staffer one time, that these tracker sites effectively spy on our torrents' activity, But so may Internet Service Providers (or You Tube too, for that matter). This is part of the price one pays if one wants to engage in file-sharing, I guess.

Actually, I don't get it why uTorrent would be at odds with these tracker sites, as isn't the main purpose of uTorrent to provide a tool for file-sharing? And how much of what is really shared is actually self-created content anyway? Aren't most persons sharing personal copies of films, musical recordings, television programming created for the mass market?

But, to answer your question, 1.6.

If you may not help me, then is there a space here in the forums where one may receive help not from uTorrent staff but from peer users, for older versions of uTorrent? Or might there even be a space where staff may offer support, on their own time, for older versions of torrent clients?

I am in some serious need of help here, to get my torrents-sharing system back up & running.

Thank you.

Jim M.

Okay, I installed the most current version of µTorrent (3.3.2), as it turns out the torrents tracker site to which I belong now does allow the most recent version of µTorrent to be used.

So here are my only unresolved issues--

(1) All my torrents are seeding or downloading normally, except the icon in the bottom-right corner of the screen that is supposed to be the color green is yellow, and never seems to turn green, which the system message says it is supposed to do.

(2) A file I am trying to seed is loading as if a new download, even though it had already completely downloaded. Nothing has been changed about the file, its name is the same, and is in the exact same folder location as it has been since it downloaded. In fact, this file is the eighth of an eight-part series, and the other seven are seeding as they should be. So I need to find out why that file is not seeding, but behaving as if a new download.

(3) The previous version of µTorrent I had been using is still showing in my hard drive when I go to seed from the downloaded folder, when one is asked which version one wishes as the default program. So I assume this means the older version is still on my hard drive. I looked in the Uninstall Programs list of my Control Panel and may only see version 3.3.2 listed. I also performed a system search for the older version's location and may only find the installer file. Where else would I find the program file of the older version of µTorrent, so I may uninstall it manually?

Thank you :) .

Archived