uTorrent not working thru VPN

Freonpsandoz

Recently, Bittorrent and uTorrent stopped working on my Windows 7 computer when I am connected to my VPN. Here are the symptoms:

1. Bittorrent 7.8.2 used to work correctly thru VPN and CheckMyTorrentIP displayed the VPN IP.
2. Bittorrent/uTorrent still work correctly when not connected thru VPN.
3. Turning off Windows firewall has no effect on the problem.
4. Trackers appear to work, except for CheckMyTorrentIP.
5. There is no upload or download connection to any peer.
6. Bittorrent 7.8.2 works correctly thru the same VPN on another computer (running XP) on the same network, except that CheckMyTorrentIP also fails there with the message "connection closed by peer."

I think the problem started after iSafe/YAC rogue antivirus and clickjacking malware was installed on the computer by a YouTube downloader. The malware appears to have been removed successfully. Windows network diagnostics couldn't find a problem. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

It's a free VPN, so I want to try other things first. Why would that be indicated, anyway? The VPN was working previously on this computer, it is still working on another computer, and I can't find any posts indicating that others are having trouble with this VPN on Windows 7. Given the timing of the problem relative to malware problems, doesn't it seem more likely that the problem is in network configuration, permissions, or something else on this particular computer?

Sounds like they might be blocking P2P on their VPN service, considering the client works fine when not using the VPN.

As noted by item #6 in the original post, I don't have any problem uploading and downloading torrents through that same VPN from an XP computer on the same network. That tells me that the VPN is NOT blocking P2P and is working correctly, unless it has some problem that only affects Win 7.

Archived