Entire list of ~2300 torrents no longer in list after PC reset

nateraaade

Hey everyone, I know this topic has been done before but I've read many off this site and off others and none of them helped. Last night I had uTorrent open to download overnight, at some point my pc shut off (power outage?) - when I shut it on again and started uTorrent, there were no longer any torrents listed. All 2,296 torrents, missing, and over 1,500 labels created specifically for the folders they were meant to append to (by genre or category). However, my persistent labels and my settings were still intact. Searching around, I discovered I should try recovering my resume.dat.old and making it resume.dat, which didn't work...uTorrent resumed with, again, an empty list as if I started it for the first time. It erased it and replaced the 2.4 MB file with a 58KB file even. Is all lost? Do I have to just load everything again without my precious labels? It was a lot of work, and I'm kinda bummed about how much time was lost.

I do, however, have several resume files with .dat.bad as the extension, but copying them and changing them to resume.dat has done no good. I keep getting "hash mismatch" logs. :(

That might do the trick, I'll be giving that a try. So far it's been giving me errors in BEncode, but I have high hopes that at least one of the resume files will work. Thanks so far.

I wouldn't really care about the list getting dropped if I didn't have a few hundred labels appended to these 2300+ torrents, so now it'll just be one big mess in one folder instead of each label's folder.

EDIT: Ah crap. Well, it kinda worked. I opened a resume.dat.bad file (corrupt, allegedly, from a bad hash check on uTorrent's end) with BEncode, got an error about not being able to decode, chose to attempt to recover, then and after clicking on [ROOT], I selected Hash and a new one was generated it seems. I rename the file to resume.dat, and load uTorrent. It thinks for a bit, loads, and I only have about 1600 of the 2300+ torrents loaded. That's great and all...but I'm missing somewhere between 700 and 1000 more torrents. :/ I'll keep trying.

Nope, there's no way this is going to work. I've tried this with each of the "bad" ones now, still the exact same result. 1,664 torrent files. I might have to find a way to do a data recover from my backup HDD that the good files were on before this all happened. It's going to suck. Any other pointers, however, are welcome.

I tried to do that, but no resume.dat files I had, after being reconstructed or not needing to be, contained any more than 1664 files so there was no 1665th to delete. But, I figured it out, I went to the drive that I had my backups on and used a deleted files restorer program to get it back, nothing was lost. Thanks for helping, rafi!

NICE! A good backup of that setting file is very important. On my system, I always run uT with a batch file that first copies this file to a backup folder...

Great idea! Would you mind sharing how your .bat is set up? Is it just a simple command-prompt copy operation?

Yep, just a simple copy & run...

copy /Y resume.dat.save resume.dat.save.old
copy /Y resume.dat resume.dat.save
start /D "D:\Program Files\uTorrent\uT 3.4" utorrent.exe /recover

Actually the .old should have been the backup but it gets corrupted sometimes as well ...

• 1 month later...

Hey guys.

I'm faceing the same problem. After my PC crashed, all the torrent files (approx. 600) from uTorrent were gone.

I tried to use the info you've given in the previous comments but without success.

I have a resume.dat.1385411928.bad (1.4 Mb) file and resume.dat, resume.dat.old both 99 bits (I guess).

Also downloaded the BEncode Editor.

Can you please explain on amateur level what should I do step by step?

Thanks a lot.

Archived