3.4.x stable

cmeisel

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, for first time with the last 2 versions, when I'm downloading a torrent with full speed, I'm losing my internet connection... I mean, the torrent is downloading fine, but I can't connect to any website with any broser...

Do you know what this might be? It came out of the blue... Win 8.1 x64, latest Realtek driver 8.034 and latest two μTorrent versions. It's truly strange. As soon as I stop the torrent(s) everything goes back to normal. Just today this started happening...

That sounds like if your client is connecting to too many places too fast, like many peers connecting to you and router does not have time to kill idle connections fast enough...  In another word its like if youre using all the maximum connections your router is set to or able to support.  On dd-wrt they have a setting for that to make it so that it kills idle connections faster to improve connection, some other router firmwares have that too.  The lower you set the TCP and UDP timeouts the better it is for p2p.

It looks like this on dd-wrt:

Administration-Management.png

Its possible that your µtorrent is set to use too many connections too so you should check in Preferences-> Bandwidth-> Number of connections, see if you use a lower value for "Global maximum number of connections" helps.  Also make sure you don't upload more than 90% your maximum upload speed capability, that can mess up your internet too.

Well then try re-installing an older version of µtorrent to a version that you know it worked flawlessly before...  At least for the time they fix this bug.  Thats what I do all the time when I encounter annoying bugs like that. ;)

Look in %appdata%\Roaming\uTorrent\updates to find your older install files.

I manually delete older files, but I get your suggestion. The thing is, even these versions were working O.K., say, yesterday for instance... Well, it's clearly something on my end, not μTorrent. Anyway, thank you matey.

Also, yes, why we have 3 parameters that if we turn them to "false" they suddenly turn themselves to "true"? Why no dev give us an answer about this for long time now? bleh! Whatever concerns ads, I see no response. Like the "no changelog" when the "fixes" have only something to do with their junk, installer offers and ads in the client.

Also, yes, why we have 3 parameters that if we turn them to "false" they suddenly turn themselves to "true"? Why no dev give us an answer about this for long time now? bleh! Whatever concerns ads, I see no response. Like the "no changelog" when the "fixes" have only something to do with their junk, installer offers and ads in the client.

It is probably still a work in progress, I noticed they have added alot of offers related parameters on 3.4.2 version.  Right now I am using 3.4.1 and I can see all the offers related parameters completely without using the scrollbar on the right and when I'm on the lastest 3.4.2 I have to use the scrollbar to be able to see them all.  I wouldn't be surprised they come up with a new way to send us ads in µtorrent with the future updates to come. :lol:  <_< 

I already tried that on XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, it still appears big. :lol:

I'm happy to hear that... I mean, I almost went to format mine the other day, now I'm happy I didn't. :lol:

Because I remember having once used 3.4.2 without having these issues, I downgraded to 2.2.1 and upgraded back to 3.4.2 and it started.  So I thought it was something that messed up in my windows installation... :rolleyes:

Supposedly fixed in beta 32744 ...

I don't know where you get that build, I can only find 32742 from mike20021969's signature and when I try to check the updates in help it says there is no new versions available at this time and I ticked the update to beta option in preferences too.  I can confirm the sidebar is still big on this build I got, I even tried with your settings.dat and it did the same thing as yesterday.  Right now I'm waiting to see if the 3 offers parameters will re-enable by themselves after 2 hours then I will post an image.

For a change, here's a post to say thanks and congratulations to the uTorrent team!

I've been using uT intermitently for many years and this version 3.4.2 (build 32549) surprised me.

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Media Center Edition with some mods (AeroGlass, ClassicShell, and a few light hacks to make MS's silly move quite bearable). Even so, didn't have any trouble, except a power failure (battery run down and PC failed to hibernate).

My PC is a Samsung notebook with i5-Sandy Bridge, 8GB, nVidia Optimus and 60GB SSD.

All torrents are stored on two 1TB external USB drives.

In the end, I'm happy, even with 1800+ torrents in my download list. I keep them stopped and put no more than a dozen in queue each time, with no more than a few upload slots. In time, I'll have them all loaded and check how uT performs seeding them all.

My ISP limits connection speeds so uT is fully using the 15Mbps Down, but less than half the 100Kbps Up capability, dunno why, but probably it's not its' fault.

I tried to move and rename a lot of folders/files and the results were good, with only one real problem: When moving the download location of a lot of files selected, uT asks me the new location for each one... Well, after that I decided where I want them, it's ok, no need to move them around again (for now).

Only complaint is about the removed skins, I would like uT to have at least color themes so I could run it darker. And the apps/bundles thing looks like Android Vice, not my cup of tea.

Good torrenting to all!

Do you mean like format and re-install windows then install µtorrent with blank settings.dat file?

No - far too drastic an effort unless your OS has other serious problems.  And I see it didn't work anyway for thebign.

Because honnestly I have tried to re-install µtorrent with blank settings.dat file, I even tried the remove settings option when you uninstall µtorrent and still no luck.  I've even tried the remove settings option and then when I reinstall I don't start by installing 3.4.2 directly I start to reinstall on the 3.4.1 first (the one that doesn't give me this sidebar problem).  I reconstruct all my settings from scratch then I restart µtorrent after that I update to 3.4.2 and µtorrent is fine for the first load but as soon I restart µtorrent it does the same thing that it did with rafi's settings.dat file earlier.  Only thing I have not tried yet is to start from a fresh windows installation lol.

Similar experience here.  The problem first appeared for me on bld 31918 after an advanced option to turn off the new plus sidebar content was added.  Recycling older settings.dat files from previous 2.x.x and 3.x.x installations only restored everything until clicking on the sidebar or restarting the client.

By the way I don't know what you mean by encapsulated or standard.

Encapsulated (portable) installation is described in the help file -

Encapsulated "Installation"

While %AppData%\uTorrent is the default directory for storing the settings, µTorrent actually searches the directory that the executable file is located in first before looking in %AppData%\uTorrent. As such, so long as the directory that the executable is located in contains a settings.dat file (even a blank one), µTorrent will look no further, and use only the files located in its current directory instead. With this behavior, it is possible to create encapsulated µTorrent "installations" for use on portable flash drives, or just to have an isolated copy for any other reason.

If you don't already have an encapsulated install, you can manually move the contents of %AppData%\uTorrent into the same directory as the µTorrent executable to create such an install.

Try it once and see if it resolves the problem before they (eventually) fix it in an update, if it hasn't been already in bld 32718 or 32744.  The fix has been working for me continuously since bld 32080, through and including 32742 without reconstructing the settings.dat file again.

You can still edit your .btskin file and maybe get the look your looking for...

I'm uncertain what to do with the settings Firon provided.

He mentions "It's a simple zip file" & also "'btskin' is a plain text file". Huh?

For the thick amongst us (me), what do you do exactly? (I do know that the values can be changed to alter colours).

But first off, if I copy all the supported settings, what then...? Put them in a zip file/text file...?

The BTSKIN file is an archive that uses ZIP compression. To view file content, rename BTSKIN file extension to ZIP and extract archive in any compression utility or just use Winrar.

*Backup your original .btskin just in case of corruption!

Copy the btskin file to your desktop and begin Editing the btskin using hex colors (http://www.colorpicker.com/)...When finished editing compress/archive it back. Your final project should be in .btskin ext.

What "fix"?

As noted 2 weeks ago - http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/88339-34x-beta/page-41#entry490701

1. Create an empty settings.dat file using notepad.  Save as settings.dat (not txt) and move/copy into the portable directory folder containing uTorrent.exe.
  2. Copy resume.dat, dht_feed.dat, updates.dat, rss.dat and dht.dat from a current installation into the same directory.
  3. Execute uTorrent directly or from a shortcut.
  4. Sidebar won't expand and remains resizeable down to previous (198 px.) width.
  5. Reset all personal preferences as needed.
  6. Close and restart to test.
  7. Unverified: If the problematic installation was standard, not encapsulated (portable), move the new settings.dat back into the %AppData%\uTorrent settings directory and test.

Archived